wulff plot

PICCA Frederic-Emmanuel
Hello, I try to do wulff plot for pole figures in crystallography [1].

I found a project which seems to do the job[2], but it is quite old and not working with the latest numpy vesion.

now my question, is is it possible to do this kind of plot (the equal angle[2]), with just matploltlib or basemap ?

thanks for your help

Frédéric

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereographic_projection#Wulff_net
[2] https://github.com/joferkington/mplstereonet

Re: wulff plot

Benjamin Root
I would probably try seeing what can be done to fix this package. Most likely it is just doing some deprecated thing that needs to be rewritten in a couple places.

I definitely wouldn't try to do it in basemap (or cartopy for that matter) because they are so geared towards cartography.

On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 4:01 PM PICCA Frederic-Emmanuel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello, I try to do wulff plot for pole figures in crystallography [1].

I found a project which seems to do the job[2], but it is quite old and not working with the latest numpy vesion.

now my question, is is it possible to do this kind of plot (the equal angle[2]), with just matploltlib or basemap ?

thanks for your help

Frédéric

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereographic_projection#Wulff_net
[2] https://github.com/joferkington/mplstereonet

Re: wulff plot

matplotlib - users mailing list
For what it's worth, the examples on the git repo work on my mac with mplstereonet 0.5 from pypi and with version 0.6-dev installed from the git repo.  They work under python 3.6.6 and 3.7.0 with matplotlib 3.0.0 and numpy 1.15.2

> On Oct 11, 2018, at 4:48 AM, PICCA Frederic-Emmanuel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello, I try to do wulff plot for pole figures in crystallography [1].
>
> I found a project which seems to do the job[2], but it is quite old and not working with the latest numpy vesion.
>
> now my question, is is it possible to do this kind of plot (the equal angle[2]), with just matploltlib or basemap ?
>
> thanks for your help
>
> Frédéric
>
> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereographic_projection#Wulff_net
> [2] https://github.com/joferkington/mplstereonet

Re: wulff plot

PICCA Frederic-Emmanuel
> For what it's worth, the examples on the git repo work on my mac with mplstereonet 0.5 from pypi and with version 0.6-dev installed from the git repo.  They work under python 3.6.6 and 3.7.0 with matplotlib 3.0.0 and numpy 1.15.2

I took the version from pypi.
I was affected by a bug when using the weight keywork of the contour plot.
At  some point it compared a numpy array to False, whcih doesnot work anymore.

I was asking because it seems to me that  the upstream is not active anymore. this is why I was asking if this could be done with a librry  which is already available in Debian.

Cheers

Frederic

Re: wulff plot

Benjamin Root
Ah, well, have you tried submitting a bug report to the project? Oftentimes, small packages like mplstereonet don't get a lot of activity because they are relatively small and simple and tend to work just fine for most cases. If you provide a traceback, it should be fairly obvious how to fix the bug.

On Sat, Oct 13, 2018 at 12:58 AM PICCA Frederic-Emmanuel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> For what it's worth, the examples on the git repo work on my mac with mplstereonet 0.5 from pypi and with version 0.6-dev installed from the git repo.  They work under python 3.6.6 and 3.7.0 with matplotlib 3.0.0 and numpy 1.15.2

I took the version from pypi.
I was affected by a bug when using the weight keywork of the contour plot.
At  some point it compared a numpy array to False, whcih doesnot work anymore.

I was asking because it seems to me that  the upstream is not active anymore. this is why I was asking if this could be done with a librry  which is already available in Debian.

Cheers

Frederic

Re: wulff plot

Joe Kington
For what it's worth, I'm the author of mplstereonet, and I'd be happy to address your problem.

The only numpy depreciations that I'm aware of affecting the project don't actually change any behavior, they just issue warnings that the old behavior was ambiguous.

One note: the weights agruments to density contorting are relatively untested and not frequently used. You're likely hitting a corner case that I'm not aware of, but I can confirm that they work for the cases I've tested.

If you could add a bit more detail and the traceback you're seeing, I'd love to fix your issue.

Thanks!
-Joe

On Oct 13, 2018 10:54 AM, "Benjamin Root" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ah, well, have you tried submitting a bug report to the project? Oftentimes, small packages like mplstereonet don't get a lot of activity because they are relatively small and simple and tend to work just fine for most cases. If you provide a traceback, it should be fairly obvious how to fix the bug.

On Sat, Oct 13, 2018 at 12:58 AM PICCA Frederic-Emmanuel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> For what it's worth, the examples on the git repo work on my mac with mplstereonet 0.5 from pypi and with version 0.6-dev installed from the git repo.  They work under python 3.6.6 and 3.7.0 with matplotlib 3.0.0 and numpy 1.15.2

I took the version from pypi.
I was affected by a bug when using the weight keywork of the contour plot.
At  some point it compared a numpy array to False, whcih doesnot work anymore.

I was asking because it seems to me that  the upstream is not active anymore. this is why I was asking if this could be done with a librry  which is already available in Debian.

Cheers

Frederic

Re: wulff plot

PICCA Frederic-Emmanuel
> For what it's worth, I'm the author of mplstereonet, and I'd be happy to address your problem.

Hello, thanks a lot, I will do a MR, next week if I have time :).
I would like also to upload it into Debian.
Is it ok for you ?

Frederic