Quantcast

distance between tick label and xlabel

Bugzilla from neojyd@gmail.com
When I increase the xlabel fontsize, it overlaps with the tick label.
How can I adjust the distance between tick label and xlable (or ylabel)?
Please help me.

--
Yong-Duk Jin

Re: distance between tick label and xlabel

John Hunter-4
On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 9:07 AM, Yong-Duk Jin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> When I increase the xlabel fontsize, it overlaps with the tick label.
> How can I adjust the distance between tick label and xlable (or ylabel)?
> Please help me.

This shouldn't happen if the font metrics are correct, since the label
gets the bounding box of the tick labels and adjusts itself correctly.
 What mpl version and backend are you using?

To increase the distance, you can increase the LABELPAD parameter

ax.xaxis.LABELPAD = 8  # default is 5

JDH

Re: distance between tick label and xlabel

Bugzilla from c-b@asu.edu
 > This shouldn't happen if the font metrics are correct, since the
 > label gets the bounding box of the tick labels and adjusts itself
 > correctly.

This behavior is causing a problem for me. I have two figures with
different sets of yticklabels (100 vs 1000), and the ylabels are in
different places as a result. I'd like to have the two ylabels be in the
exact same position.

 > To increase the distance, you can increase the LABELPAD parameter
 >
 > ax.xaxis.LABELPAD = 8  # default is 5

I am changing this property, but nothing changes on the figure. From
ipython, and when the figure is visible, I type:

gca().yaxis.labelpad = 100

but the ylabel doesn't move. I'm in 0.98pre from svn. What am I doing
wrong?

--
Chris

Re: distance between tick label and xlabel

Friedrich Hagedorn
On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 11:13:55AM -0700, Christopher Brown wrote:
> I am changing this property, but nothing changes on the figure. From
> ipython, and when the figure is visible, I type:
>
> gca().yaxis.labelpad = 100
>
> but the ylabel doesn't move. I'm in 0.98pre from svn. What am I doing
> wrong?

Yust a guess: Try

  draw()

to redraw the hole figure.