Quantcast

[announce] matplotlib 1.5.0 released

tcaswell
Hey all,

We are pleased to finally announce the release of matplotlib 1.5.0!  It has been over a year since the last feature release and we have had over 230 people contribute to this cycle.

This release of matplotlib has several major new features including

 - Auto-redraw using the object-oriented API in interactive mode.
 - Most plotting functions now support labeled data API [Jan Schulz].
 - Color cycling has extended to all style properties [Ben Root].
 - Four new perceptually uniform color maps, including the soon-to-be default 'viridis'. [Stefan van der Walt and Nathaniel Smith].
 - More included style sheets.
 - Many small plotting improvements.
 - Proposed new framework for managing the GUI toolbar and tools.
 - Pixel-value on mouse over for imshow [Steven Silvester]

For demos of some of these features in action see this notebook:

which is version of the talk I presented at scipy, pydata Seattle and pygotham this summer.  There will be more in-depth demos of the new features coming.

This release has a new required dependency,  cycler , for composing complex style cycles.

In 1.5.0 we have dropped official support for python 2.6 and 3.3.

The next matplotlib release will be the 2.0 default-style-only release, planned for 1-2 months from now.