Windows7: figure window "not responding"

Windows7: figure window "not responding"

dstrozzi

This problem has been driving me nuts, posted it elsewhere, so far no one's been able to help.  I am running Python 3.6.1 from Anaconda (all packages updated to latest and greatest) on Windows 7.  ipython and mpl figure windows work fine from a console, or spyder.  The problem is when I try running ipython within emacs using elpy.

To back up, the workflow I'm shooting for is using emacs as my IDE, and running python within emacs.  I've done this for many years with the Yorick interpreter, and it's quite addictive.  I get the same problem whether I use the GNU windows build of emacs, or emacs -nw (terminal, no X) from cygwin (ver 25.2 both cases).  elpy seems to be a good Python package for emacs, and nominally supports using ipython.

OK, so - I can use ipython + emacs + elpy.  The only problem is matplotlib figures.  When I do figure(), a figure window appears, but is not fully rendered (e.g. no buttons), and the window title says "Not responding".  If I do a plot(), nothing is plotted.  Playing with ion() and show() doesn't help.

I've posted this on the elpy github, various stackexchange forums, no one has had any ideas yet.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Dave

Re: Windows7: figure window "not responding"

tcaswell
I do exactly this as well (but on linux)!

The symptoms your are describing sounds like the GUI event loop is not being spun behind the scenes (see https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/pull/4779 for some draft text at explaining how all of that works).  Have you tried doing `%matplotlib` is IPython?

Tom