Trying to reproduce plot with a certain colormap

Trying to reproduce plot with a certain colormap

matplotlib - users mailing list
Hello everybody,

I have this figure done by a colleague quite a while ago in matplotlib:

Unfortunately, I no longer have contact with my colleague to ask the particular colormap she used in matplotlib. I have looked through the gallery at https://matplotlib.org/examples/color/colormaps_reference.html but I am unable to find that colormap she used there.

Can anybody recognize the colormap she used in that plot?

Thank you!
Best, Kris

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Re: Trying to reproduce plot with a certain colormap

Jody Klymak

Hi Kris,

That one is called “jet”, though it looks like she applied a bit of a normalization to it to move the (green) center to lower values…

https://matplotlib.org/users/colormapnorms.html (see the last subsection: “Two linear ranges”)

Cheers, Jody

On 11 Aug 2017, at 11:25, kgb2020 via Matplotlib-users wrote:

Hello everybody,

I have this figure done by a colleague quite a while ago in matplotlib:

Unfortunately, I no longer have contact with my colleague to ask the particular colormap she used in matplotlib. I have looked through the gallery at https://matplotlib.org/examples/color/colormaps_reference.html but I am unable to find that colormap she used there.

Can anybody recognize the colormap she used in that plot?

Thank you!
Best, Kris

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Re: Trying to reproduce plot with a certain colormap

Benjamin Root
Not jet, it doesn't go through cyan. Looks more like coolwarm, to me, or maybe RdYlGn_r (but the yellow isn't right, either...).

I am also not completely convinced it was made in matplotlib. The 3d plot's projection isn't the same as mplot3d's projection.

On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 2:34 PM, Jody Klymak <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

vincent.adrien@gmail.com
Hi all,

I agree with Ben that it does not look like jet to me: the bright light
blue seems to be missing. FWIW, "Spectral" (with a capital S) might be
the closest colormap among the built-in ones in Matplotlib, but it is
still more “pastel-ish” than Kris´ example.

Best,
Adrien

On 08/11/2017 11:43 AM, Benjamin Root wrote:

> Not jet, it doesn't go through cyan. Looks more like coolwarm, to me, or
> maybe RdYlGn_r (but the yellow isn't right, either...).
>
> I am also not completely convinced it was made in matplotlib. The 3d
> plot's projection isn't the same as mplot3d's projection.
>
> On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 2:34 PM, Jody Klymak <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     __
>
>     Hi Kris,
>
>     That one is called “jet”, though it looks like she applied a bit of
>     a normalization to it to move the (green) center to lower values…
>
>     https://matplotlib.org/users/colormapnorms.html
>     <https://matplotlib.org/users/colormapnorms.html> (see the last
>     subsection: “Two linear ranges”)
>
>     Cheers, Jody
>
>     On 11 Aug 2017, at 11:25, kgb2020 via Matplotlib-users wrote:
>
>         Hello everybody,
>
>         I have this figure done by a colleague quite a while ago in
>         matplotlib:
>
>         https://image.ibb.co/cxGKSF/tst0.png
>         <https://image.ibb.co/cxGKSF/tst0.png>
>
>         Unfortunately, I no longer have contact with my colleague to ask
>         the particular colormap she used in matplotlib. I have looked
>         through the gallery at
>         https://matplotlib.org/examples/color/colormaps_reference.html
>         <https://matplotlib.org/examples/color/colormaps_reference.html> but
>         I am unable to find that colormap she used there.
>
>         Can anybody recognize the colormap she used in that plot?
>
>         Thank you!
>         Best, Kris
>

>         Sent with ProtonMail <https://protonmail.com> Secure Email.

Re: Trying to reproduce plot with a certain colormap

Jody Klymak
This image has pretty clearly been converted to CMYK hence the dullness. Pretty convinced that's what jet looks like after a CMYK conversion.

Cheers.  Jody

Sent from my iPhone

On 11 Aug 2017, at 12:17, Klymak Jody wrote:

This image has pretty clearly been converted to CMYK hence the dullness. Pretty convinced that's what jet looks like after a CMYK conversion.

See:

https://gist.github.com/jklymak/744db8cc538e5757ecc4eb4977bff3a3

CMYK conversion was done in Illustrator.

You could still argue that matplotlib’s “jet” gets darker at the high reds and low blues, and maybe the cyan is more bright. But you have to be pretty careful w/ CMYK conversions because it depends on the profiles used etc etc. I’d buy the argument that this is a matlab jet versus a matplotlib jet, but I think most of the perceived difference is because a CMYK conversion happened somewhere along the way.

Cheers, Jody

PS, I note the image says that it is RGB, but then my converted image also says the same thing.

Cheers. Jody

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 11, 2017, at 11:51, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

I agree with Ben that it does not look like jet to me: the bright light blue seems to be missing. FWIW, "Spectral" (with a capital S) might be the closest colormap among the built-in ones in Matplotlib, but it is still more “pastel-ish” than Kris´ example.

Best,
Adrien

On 08/11/2017 11:43 AM, Benjamin Root wrote:
Not jet, it doesn't go through cyan. Looks more like coolwarm, to me, or maybe RdYlGn_r (but the yellow isn't right, either...).
I am also not completely convinced it was made in matplotlib. The 3d plot's projection isn't the same as mplot3d's projection.
On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 2:34 PM, Jody Klymak <[hidden email] <[hidden email]>> wrote:
__
[...]

Thank you Jody, I did not know that CMYK conversion could alter colors
that much; that is interesting.

Ben, maybe my cheap screen is tricking me here, but I would have say
that what is still missing in the CMYK conversion is the cyan/bright
blue part, not the yellow one. Anyway, as Jody wrote, it might just be a
matter of CMYK profile, doesn´t it?

Best,
Adrien

On 08/11/2017 01:02 PM, Benjamin Root wrote:

> [...]
>                 <https://image.ibb.co/cxGKSF/tst0.png
>                 <https://image.ibb.co/cxGKSF/tst0.png>>
>                 Unfortunately, I no longer have contact with my
>                 colleague to ask
>                 the particular colormap she used in matplotlib. I have
>                 looked
>                 through the gallery at
>                 https://matplotlib.org/examples/color/colormaps_reference.html
>                 <https://matplotlib.org/examples/color/colormaps_reference.html>
>                 <https://matplotlib.org/examples/color/colormaps_reference.html
>                 <https://matplotlib.org/examples/color/colormaps_reference.html>>
>                 but
>                 I am unable to find that colormap she used there.
>                 Can anybody recognize the colormap she used in that plot?
>                 Thank you!
>                 Best, Kris
>                 Sent with ProtonMail <https://protonmail.com> Secure Email.

Re: Trying to reproduce plot with a certain colormap

Yes, there is also still the cyan. I am doubtful that just having a different profile would be enough to change this. I think either RdYlGn_r or coolwarm is a lot closer than jet put through a cmyk conversion. I am going with the philosophy of the simplest model that explains the most amount of the data observed. A cmyk conversion isn't out of the question because many publications do that conversion. But if that was the case, then putting RdYlGn_r or coolwarm through CMYK conversion might actually bring it closer to your example than CMYK converted jet is.

Also, keep in mind, I am still not convinced that this is even matplotlib in origin due to certain features of the 3d plot (I am the maintainer of mplot3d). I don't know if it looks like matlab's version, though, as I don't have experience with it.

Ben

On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 4:14 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you Jody, I did not know that CMYK conversion could alter colors that much; that is interesting.

Ben, maybe my cheap screen is tricking me here, but I would have say that what is still missing in the CMYK conversion is the cyan/bright blue part, not the yellow one. Anyway, as Jody wrote, it might just be a matter of CMYK profile, doesn´t it?

Best,
Adrien

On 08/11/2017 01:02 PM, Benjamin Root wrote:
The CMYK converted jet still has a bright yellow in there that is not in the one showed by Kris at all.

    __

            <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

            Hi all,

            I agree with Ben that it does not look like jet to me: the
            bright light blue seems to be missing. FWIW, "Spectral"
            (with a capital S) might be the closest colormap among the
            built-in ones in Matplotlib, but it is still more
            “pastel-ish” than Kris´ example.

            Best,
            Adrien

                On 08/11/2017 11:43 AM, Benjamin Root wrote:
                Not jet, it doesn't go through cyan. Looks more like
                coolwarm, to me, or maybe RdYlGn_r (but the yellow isn't
                right, either...).
                I am also not completely convinced it was made in
                matplotlib. The 3d plot's projection isn't the same as
                mplot3d's projection.
                On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 2:34 PM, Jody Klymak
                <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
                __
                wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the replies. I use MATLAB so I am familiar with jet; but the colors in my colleague's plot looked too "pastelized" that I had my doubts, and finally decided to ask.

Best, Kris

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Matplotlib-users <[hidden email]>, kgb2020 <[hidden email]>