Quantcast

Stacked 2D plots with interconnections in Matplotlib

Stacked 2D plots with interconnections in Matplotlib

Maurizio De Pittà

Fedora 20; Python 2.7.5; Matplotlib 1.4.3 (installed by yum/pip)

I need to visualize some complex multivariate datasets and the preferred way is to use a modification of parallel axis visualization, using stacked 2D plots, where each plot maps a degree of freedom/model parameter and data points belonging to the same data sets should be interconnected across different plots. I am attaching a conceptual sketch.

I put emphasis that each plane should be a plot itself with its own axes with their own scales. More specifically, all plots have the same x-axis, but the y-axis represents something different.

Any idea of how to implement it by matplotlib?

stack_plot.png (33K) Download Attachment

Re: Stacked 2D plots with interconnections in Matplotlib

Benjamin Root
Perhaps glueviz (built on top of matplotlib) might be a step in the right direction for you? http:/./glueviz.org

Don't know if it'll do the 3d aspect that you are looking for, but it does provide a lot of good interactivity tools for examining interconnections in multidimensional data.

Cheers!
Ben Root