Plot

Partha Sinha
I want to plot a list of 10 numbers. I want to plot each point after 5 secs (first point in o sec and 2nd point after 5 sec anf so on) and want to plot them in same graph.
How to do?
Regards
Parth

Re: Plot

matplotlib - users mailing list
This should do what you want.   It works in a jupyter notebook but not in jupyterlab.  It also works as a standalone python script if you comment out the %matplotlib notebook line.

Best regards,
Scott

# based on https://matplotlib.org/gallery/animation/animate_decay.html#sphx-glr-gallery-animation-animate-decay-py
# but uses a zip iterator for the frames variable in FuncAnimation instead of the data_gen generator function
# used in the example

# comment out this line if you are not running this in a jupyter notebook
%matplotlib notebook
# %matplotlib nbagg

import numpy as np
from matplotlib import pyplot as plt
from matplotlib.animation import FuncAnimation

def init_plot():
    # if you know the data ranges you can set fixed
    # xlim and ylim limits here, otherwise uncomment
    # the ax.relim and ax.autoscale_view calls in
    # draw_pts to rescale the axes based on the
    # last data point plotted
    ax.set(xlim=[0, 11], ylim=[0, 120])
    return []

def update_pts(data):
    x.append(data[0])
    y.append(data[1])
    pts.set_data(x, y)
#     ax.relim()
#     ax.autoscale_view(scaley=True)
    return [pts]

# data to plot.  replace with your data values
xvals = np.arange(1, 11)
yvals = np.array([1, 4, 9, 16, 25, 36, 49, 64, 81, 100])

# zip xvals[1:] and yvals[1:] since we are plotting
# xvals[0], yvals[0] at time 0 after we create the figure
xy_points = zip(xvals[1:], yvals[1:])

# create x and y lists containing the first point to be plotted.
# update_pts will append the next x and y values from the iterator xy_points
# to x and y every 5000ms and update the pts being plotted
x = [xvals[0]]
y = [yvals[0]]

# create a figure and plot the first x, y point at time 0
fig, ax = plt.subplots()
pts = ax.plot(x, y, 'o')[0]

# loop through the remaining points and update the plot every
# 5000ms
anim = FuncAnimation(fig=fig,
                    func=update_pts,
                    frames=xy_points,
                    init_func=init_plot,
                    interval=5000,
                    blit=False,
                    repeat=False)

plt.show()

> On Aug 3, 2019, at 1:04 AM, Partha Sinha <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I want to plot a list of 10 numbers. I want to plot each point after 5 secs (first point in o sec and 2nd point after 5 sec anf so on) and want to plot them in same graph.
> How to do?
> Regards
> Parth

Re: Plot

Partha Sinha
Awesome, thanks!
partha

On Sat, 3 Aug 2019 at 13:17, Scott Lasley <[hidden email]> wrote:
This should do what you want.   It works in a jupyter notebook but not in jupyterlab.  It also works as a standalone python script if you comment out the %matplotlib notebook line.

Best regards,
Scott

# based on https://matplotlib.org/gallery/animation/animate_decay.html#sphx-glr-gallery-animation-animate-decay-py
# but uses a zip iterator for the frames variable in FuncAnimation instead of the data_gen generator function
# used in the example

# comment out this line if you are not running this in a jupyter notebook
%matplotlib notebook
# %matplotlib nbagg

import numpy as np
from matplotlib import pyplot as plt
from matplotlib.animation import FuncAnimation

def init_plot():
    # if you know the data ranges you can set fixed
    # xlim and ylim limits here, otherwise uncomment
    # the ax.relim and ax.autoscale_view calls in
    # draw_pts to rescale the axes based on the
    # last data point plotted
    ax.set(xlim=[0, 11], ylim=[0, 120])
    return []

def update_pts(data):
    x.append(data[0])
    y.append(data[1])
    pts.set_data(x, y)
#     ax.relim()
#     ax.autoscale_view(scaley=True)
    return [pts]

# data to plot.  replace with your data values
xvals = np.arange(1, 11)
yvals = np.array([1, 4, 9, 16, 25, 36, 49, 64, 81, 100])

# zip xvals[1:] and yvals[1:] since we are plotting
# xvals[0], yvals[0] at time 0 after we create the figure
xy_points = zip(xvals[1:], yvals[1:])

# create x and y lists containing the first point to be plotted.
# update_pts will append the next x and y values from the iterator xy_points
# to x and y every 5000ms and update the pts being plotted
x = [xvals[0]]
y = [yvals[0]]

# create a figure and plot the first x, y point at time 0
fig, ax = plt.subplots()
pts = ax.plot(x, y, 'o')[0]

# loop through the remaining points and update the plot every
# 5000ms
anim = FuncAnimation(fig=fig,
                    func=update_pts,
                    frames=xy_points,
                    init_func=init_plot,
                    interval=5000,
                    blit=False,
                    repeat=False)

plt.show()

> On Aug 3, 2019, at 1:04 AM, Partha Sinha <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I want to plot a list of 10 numbers. I want to plot each point after 5 secs (first point in o sec and 2nd point after 5 sec anf so on) and want to plot them in same graph.
> How to do?
> Regards
> Parth

Re: Plot

Partha Sinha
I got the solution as suggested by scott.
My new problem is:
Lets say I will generate lets  two pairs of 10 random numbers, say x and y.
When first pair of x and y is generated, it will be plotted. Again when second set of number is generated, it will appear on the same graph and not on 2nd graph.
This will continue till 10th pair.
How to do this?
Regards
Parth

On 3 Aug 2019 1:17 pm, "Scott Lasley" <[hidden email]> wrote:
This should do what you want.   It works in a jupyter notebook but not in jupyterlab.  It also works as a standalone python script if you comment out the %matplotlib notebook line.

Best regards,
Scott

# based on https://matplotlib.org/gallery/animation/animate_decay.html#sphx-glr-gallery-animation-animate-decay-py
# but uses a zip iterator for the frames variable in FuncAnimation instead of the data_gen generator function
# used in the example

# comment out this line if you are not running this in a jupyter notebook
%matplotlib notebook
# %matplotlib nbagg

import numpy as np
from matplotlib import pyplot as plt
from matplotlib.animation import FuncAnimation

def init_plot():
    # if you know the data ranges you can set fixed
    # xlim and ylim limits here, otherwise uncomment
    # the ax.relim and ax.autoscale_view calls in
    # draw_pts to rescale the axes based on the
    # last data point plotted
    ax.set(xlim=[0, 11], ylim=[0, 120])
    return []

def update_pts(data):
    x.append(data[0])
    y.append(data[1])
    pts.set_data(x, y)
#     ax.relim()
#     ax.autoscale_view(scaley=True)
    return [pts]

# data to plot.  replace with your data values
xvals = np.arange(1, 11)
yvals = np.array([1, 4, 9, 16, 25, 36, 49, 64, 81, 100])

# zip xvals[1:] and yvals[1:] since we are plotting
# xvals[0], yvals[0] at time 0 after we create the figure
xy_points = zip(xvals[1:], yvals[1:])

# create x and y lists containing the first point to be plotted.
# update_pts will append the next x and y values from the iterator xy_points
# to x and y every 5000ms and update the pts being plotted
x = [xvals[0]]
y = [yvals[0]]

# create a figure and plot the first x, y point at time 0
fig, ax = plt.subplots()
pts = ax.plot(x, y, 'o')[0]

# loop through the remaining points and update the plot every
# 5000ms
anim = FuncAnimation(fig=fig,
                    func=update_pts,
                    frames=xy_points,
                    init_func=init_plot,
                    interval=5000,
                    blit=False,
                    repeat=False)

plt.show()

> On Aug 3, 2019, at 1:04 AM, Partha Sinha <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I want to plot a list of 10 numbers. I want to plot each point after 5 secs (first point in o sec and 2nd point after 5 sec anf so on) and want to plot them in same graph.
> How to do?
> Regards
> Parth

Re: Plot

Bruno Pagani
I guess adding a call to plt.figure() before each new figure should do it. Eventually plt.close() just before that if you want to close figures instead of keeping them open (but then you might also just be able to clear the current one instead of closing/opening).

Le 14/08/2019 à 06:47, Partha Sinha a écrit :
> [...]

x = [xvals[0]]
y = [yvals[0]]

# create a figure and plot the first x, y point at time 0
fig, ax = plt.subplots()
pts = ax.plot(x, y, 'o')[0]

# loop through the remaining points and update the plot every
# 5000ms
anim = FuncAnimation(fig=fig,
                    func=update_pts,
                    frames=xy_points,
                    init_func=init_plot,
                    interval=5000,
                    blit=False,
                    repeat=False)

plt.show()

> On Aug 3, 2019, at 1:04 AM, Partha Sinha <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I want to plot a list of 10 numbers. I want to plot each point after 5 secs (first point in o sec and 2nd point after 5 sec anf so on) and want to plot them in same graph.

Re: Plot

Partha Sinha
Can the codes be shared?

On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 at 19:30, Bruno Pagani <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

x = [xvals[0]]
y = [yvals[0]]

# create a figure and plot the first x, y point at time 0
fig, ax = plt.subplots()
pts = ax.plot(x, y, 'o')[0]

# loop through the remaining points and update the plot every
# 5000ms
anim = FuncAnimation(fig=fig,
                    func=update_pts,
                    frames=xy_points,
                    init_func=init_plot,
                    interval=5000,
                    blit=False,
                    repeat=False)

plt.show()

> On Aug 3, 2019, at 1:04 AM, Partha Sinha <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I want to plot a list of 10 numbers. I want to plot each point after 5 secs (first point in o sec and 2nd point after 5 sec anf so on) and want to plot them in same graph.

Hi Partha,

This stackoverflow answer should help you do what you want
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/10944621/dynamically-updating-plot-in-matplotlib

Here is some similar code.  Run the code between the ...'s in a Jupiter notebook cell to create the first empty plot

# comment out this line if you are not running this in a jupyter notebook
%matplotlib notebook

import numpy as np
from matplotlib import pyplot as plt

def update_points(fig, pts, new_data):
    # get the data for the points in the current plot
    pts_data = pts.get_data()
    # update the points using set_data with the
    # new_data values appended to the current values
    pts.set_data(np.append(pts_data[0], [new_data[0]]),
                 np.append(pts_data[1], [new_data[1]]))
    # update the plot
    fig.canvas.draw_idle()
    # uncomment the next two lines if you want the plot to
    # automatically adjust its limits when you add data
#     ax.relim()
#     ax.autoscale_view(scaley=True)
    return

# create a figure
# if you are running the code in ipython you may need to
# call plt.ion() after creating the figure
fig, ax = plt.subplots()

# set the plot's x and y limits if you know the range
# of the data you will generate.  otherwise let
# update_plot adjust the limits
ax.set(xlim=[0,100], ylim=[0,100])

# plot an empty list to create the pts Line2D array
# with no data
pts = ax.plot([], 'o')[0]

Then in the next cell(s) call update_points for each new data point to be plotted

new_data = [10, 10]
update_points(fig=fig, pts=pts, new_data=new_data)
new_data = [20, 40]
update_points(fig=fig, pts=pts, new_data=new_data)

Hope this helps,
Scott