Need assistance with inconsistent matplotlib plots from computer to computer...

Need assistance with inconsistent matplotlib plots from computer to computer...

MacItaly

I wrote a program that gathers data and plots it (y) over time (x). I use Python 3.7.7, with matplotlib 3.2.2, on Windows 10 Pro. I have compiled the program using pyinstaller, into an .exe and put it on additional computers to run. The program has worked properly on all computers, except an HP i5, running Windows 10. I've attached a picture of both graphs to help explain my problem... Good and Bad Graph.

The bad graph seems to display the data sporadically with long horizontal lines between data points. I have created a debug version that displays the data of the lists used for the x and y-axis and the lists are full with 80-110 values, so I know the data is being collected. It's just not displaying on the graph properly. I have tried uninstalling things and installing things, I have tweaked the priority in Task Manager, and I've tried running in SAFE mode to disable any extensions that may be interrupting in the background. Does anyone have ANY ideas or help? Thank you in advance!

I have now tried installing Python 3.7.7 on the computer that displays the bad graph, and running the program directly from Python IDE and the display is still inaccurate. I'm at a total loss and would LOVE some help.

Code snippet:

def Laser_WaferScan(self, lst, display1, time_lst):

""" Laser - WAFER SCAN PLOT """

waferScan = lst

rpms = display1 # Displays the RPMs in plt.title

waferScan_fullScan_time_lst = time_lst

#### TESTING - Moved from main() 6.1.20

if gv.bandpass_yes == True:

plt.subplot(3, 1, 1)

else:

plt.subplot(2, 1, 1)

# Dynamically setup graph axes using Plotting class

waferScan_min_ylim, waferScan_max_ylim = self.Ylim(waferScan)

plt.ylim(waferScan_min_ylim, waferScan_max_ylim)

# Compare the last value added to the waferScan_fullScan_time_lst, and if it is greater than the current X-axis limit, make it the new X-axis limit

if waferScan_fullScan_time_lst[-1] > gv.waferScan_max_xlim:

gv.waferScan_max_xlim = waferScan_fullScan_time_lst[-1]

plt.xlim(0, gv.waferScan_max_xlim)

if gv.scan_name != None: # These conditional statements check to see which title should be used

if gv.lowpass_yes == True:

plt.title(f"{gv.scan_name}\nLowpass Filter Settings: N: {gv.lowpass_N} Wn: {gv.lowpass_Wn}\nRPMs = {rpms} Time to Scan = {round(gv.adjusted_time_to_scan,4)} sec", fontsize=12)

else:

plt.title(f"{gv.scan_name}\nRPMs = {rpms} Time to Scan = {round(gv.adjusted_time_to_scan,4)} sec", fontsize=12)

else:

if gv.lowpass_yes == True:

plt.title(f"Lowpass Filter Settings: N: {gv.lowpass_N} Wn: {gv.lowpass_Wn}\nRPMs = {rpms} Time to Scan = {round(gv.adjusted_time_to_scan,4)} sec", fontsize=12)

else:

plt.title(f"RPMs = {rpms} Time to Scan = {round(gv.adjusted_time_to_scan,4)} sec", fontsize=12)

plt.ylabel("Full Wafer Scan (volts)")

plt.xlabel('Full Wafer Scan Time (milliseconds)', fontsize=10)

plt.plot(waferScan_fullScan_time_lst, waferScan, label="Laser Readings", color='k')

Email: [hidden email]

7001 West Erie Street Suite #1, Chandler, Arizona  85226

Phone:  480.705.8000     Direct Line:  480.240.5547

Website:  www.axustech.com

Surface Processing Technology for Semiconductors, III-V, and II-VI Materials, Advanced Packaging, TSV, MEMS, LED, Precision Optical, Photonics, Nanotechnology, and MicroMachining applications.  We specialize in Legacy Equipment refurbishment, upgrading, modifications, repurposing, spare parts, and field support, and we OEM Gemini Slurry delivery systems, advanced wafer carriers, and robot-assisted polishers. We represent other OEMs including G&P Technologies and Trusval.  We are the authorized sales, parts, service and support group for Gespac Controls and Moog Industrial Group products.

Note:  The information in this message and any attachments is confidential between the sender and the intended recipient.  If you receive this message in error, please delete it immediately.  Unauthorized use is strictly prohibited.

Re: Need assistance with inconsistent matplotlib plots from computer to computer...

Fabrice Silva-2
Le lundi 21 septembre 2020, Anthony Billings a écrit :

[...]

Hi,
Comparing the two plots, I am not sure matplotlib is the faulty one here.
The y values just seem different between the two graphs. Did you tried to record the data and look at numerical values in order to check their consistency ? You may even transfer the data of the "bad plot" to the other computer (the good one), just to ensure whether it is a data problem or a plot problem...

If they come from some experimental setup, maybe one of the devices is wrong...

Fabrice

Re: Need assistance with inconsistent matplotlib plots from computer to computer...

MacItaly

The data is sampled from an external device based on the speed (rpms) of a spinning platen. The y-axis values are just set up by a function to adjust according to the range of the sampled data.

As I mentioned in the OP the program works well on most computers. It’s just this HP, i5 10th gen I’m having trouble with. It may or may not be a matplotlib issue, but I don’t know what else it could be.

I was referred to trying to change the epoch in matplotlib 3.3.2 and seeing if I could get it to work there. That did not fix the issue either.

Re: Need assistance with inconsistent matplotlib plots from computer to computer...

tcaswell
Can you try plotting as

plt.plot(waferScan_fullScan_time_lst, waferScan, '-o', label="Laser Readings", color='k')

which will put a marker at each point to get a better sense of what the datapoints are and what parts are the interpretation is.

Tom

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 3:58 PM Anthony Billings <[hidden email]> wrote:

The data is sampled from an external device based on the speed (rpms) of a spinning platen. The y-axis values are just set up by a function to adjust according to the range of the sampled data.

As I mentioned in the OP the program works well on most computers. It’s just this HP, i5 10th gen I’m having trouble with. It may or may not be a matplotlib issue, but I don’t know what else it could be.

I was referred to trying to change the epoch in matplotlib 3.3.2 and seeing if I could get it to work there. That did not fix the issue either.

Re: Need assistance with inconsistent matplotlib plots from computer to computer...

MacItaly
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Need assistance with inconsistent matplotlib plots from computer to computer...

MacItaly

That was a neat idea! I added the ‘-o’ to the plot. My current workbench setup is currently tied to a power supply outputting 1.2v. The data is then read for approximately 0.108 (108 ms) - 0.1096 seconds (109.6 ms) and then displayed on the plot. I have a debug version running that shows there is a range of 160-170 entries in the list, all valid floats. Thus the plot that should be displayed is a straight line at 1.2 with ~160 dots.

As the data was collected and displayed I saw variance in the plots. Most plots looked like this https://imgur.com/gallery/bEXc3t9, with about 7 or 8 equally distanced dots. This plot also shows an additional dot around the x=30 coordinate. Other plots had a ton of dots in between selected nodes, and then nothing between others, like this https://imgur.com/gallery/AezWLck. These 7/8 dots though are consistent throughout all of the plots.

Which is curious? Why would only select values be displayed while others are not? Why on some scans are there LOTS of dots, and others barely any?

Need assistance with inconsistent matplotlib plots from computer to computer...

MacItaly

Problem Solved. McAfee Antivirus was causing the problem.