[Matplotlib-devel] user mailing list policy

[Matplotlib-devel] user mailing list policy

tcaswell
Going through the moderation backlog on matplolib-user we have a way high false-negative rate of non-subscribing posting with reasonable emails (you just got a pile of old emails because I cleared the queue).

I think we should either open the user list to any posters or get some sort of rotation going so that the moderation queue gets handled (ideally) once a day.

Re: user mailing list policy

Eric Firing
Tom,

Is it possible to have it automatically reply to non-subscribers with a
message telling them to subscribe and re-post?

If it were opened up, wouldn't it get quite a bit of spam?

Do you know how other lists handle this problem?

Eric

On 2017/01/28 5:59 AM, Thomas Caswell wrote:

> Going through the moderation backlog on matplolib-user we have a way
> high false-negative rate of non-subscribing posting with reasonable
> emails (you just got a pile of old emails because I cleared the queue).
>
> I think we should either open the user list to any posters or get some
> sort of rotation going so that the moderation queue gets handled
> (ideally) once a day.
>
> Tom

Re: user mailing list policy

tcaswell
For what ever reason, the user list gets way less spam than devel or announce.

The bounce users get looks like:

------

Your mail to 'Matplotlib-users' with the subject

    test of what non-subscribed posters see

The reason it is being held:

    Post by non-member to a members-only list

notification of the moderator's decision.  If you would like to cancel

<url with uid to cancel post>

----

which does not include information on _how_to subscribe.  My random-walk through the configuration pages on mailman are failing to sort out how to customize this message.

Tom

On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 12:45 PM Eric Firing <[hidden email]> wrote:
Tom,

Is it possible to have it automatically reply to non-subscribers with a
message telling them to subscribe and re-post?

If it were opened up, wouldn't it get quite a bit of spam?

Do you know how other lists handle this problem?

Eric

On 2017/01/28 5:59 AM, Thomas Caswell wrote:
> Going through the moderation backlog on matplolib-user we have a way
> high false-negative rate of non-subscribing posting with reasonable
> emails (you just got a pile of old emails because I cleared the queue).
>
> I think we should either open the user list to any posters or get some
> sort of rotation going so that the moderation queue gets handled
> (ideally) once a day.
>
> Tom

Re: user mailing list policy

Jouni K. Seppänen
Thomas Caswell <[hidden email]> writes:

> The bounce users get looks like:

[...]
> which does not include information on _how_to subscribe.  My random-walk
> through the configuration pages on mailman are failing to sort out how to
> customize this message.

I don't think this can be configured through the web interface. This
text comes from the postheld.txt template which (AFAIU) can be changed
by creating a new file /var/lib/mailman/lists/<listname>/en/postheld.txt
with custom contents. The original file is /etc/mailman/en/postheld.txt
or possibly /var/lib/mailman/templates/en/postheld.txt.

--
Jouni K. Seppänen
http://www.iki.fi/jks