[Matplotlib-devel] plot markers with drawstyle='steps-post'

[Matplotlib-devel] plot markers with drawstyle='steps-post'

Pierre Haessig
Hello,

I have noticed a change with line plots using drawstyle='steps-post' and
markers.

Using Matplotlib 2.2.2 (Conso_gaz_model.png) there is a marker at each
"edge" of the line. In a previous Matplotlib version (2.1 or 2.0, cf.
file Conso_gaz_model (copie).png), there was only a marker at the actual
data point.

Is this a well-known change or a regression ? (I've quickly looked at
the issue tracker, but didn't find something)

Best,

Pierre

Conso_gaz_model.png (61K) Download Attachment
Conso_gaz_model (copie).png (66K) Download Attachment

Re: plot markers with drawstyle='steps-post'

tcaswell
Can you please create a bug report for that?  This is an unintentional change related to simplifying some internal implementation details.

For now I suggest plotting your data twice: once with step and once with just markers which should work on all versions of Matplotlib.

Tom

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 4:08 PM Pierre Haessig <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I have noticed a change with line plots using drawstyle='steps-post' and
markers.

Using Matplotlib 2.2.2 (Conso_gaz_model.png) there is a marker at each
"edge" of the line. In a previous Matplotlib version (2.1 or 2.0, cf.
file Conso_gaz_model (copie).png), there was only a marker at the actual
data point.

Is this a well-known change or a regression ? (I've quickly looked at
the issue tracker, but didn't find something)

Best,

Pierre

Re: plot markers with drawstyle='steps-post'

Pierre Haessig

Thanks for the feedback. Here is the bug report https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/issues/11031 "wrong x-position of marker with drawstyle='steps-xxx'". I hope the title is appropriate.

Is there a unit test for plots with drawstyle='steps-xxx' ?

Best,

Pierre

Le 11/04/2018 à 22:12, Thomas Caswell a écrit :
[...]

Thanks.

There are unit tests for step, but not with markers.