[Matplotlib-devel] plot confidence ellipse

[Matplotlib-devel] plot confidence ellipse

Carsten Schelp
Hello,

Quite some time ago I had to plot confidence ellipses for 2D datasets.
There was no out-of-the-box solution in the libraries I used, then.
Also, all the solutions that I found when searching online seemed cumbersome or did not even work well.

So I brewed my own. You can see the result of my effort in this blogpost here (python, using numpy and matplotlib):
https://carstenschelp.github.io/2018/09/14/Plot_Confidence_Ellipse_001.html
- along with an explanation how and why it works.

If you guys think that this functionality might be useful within matplotlib, I would happily prepare this approach - pythonic-checks, tests and all - and send a patch or pull request.
I consider the confidence ellipse a kind of "cousin" to the "scatter(...)" function. Maybe it is appropriate to place it next to "scatter" - but that is still to be discussed, I think.

What do YOU think?

Kind regards, Carsten