Quantcast

[Matplotlib-devel] mpl_finance maintenance

[Matplotlib-devel] mpl_finance maintenance

Akkana Peck
Hi, I'm new here (waves).

I occasionally use matplotlib.finance (primarily for the historical
quotes functions) and discovered that it's deprecated in matplotlib
2.0and has been split off into a separate module,
https://github.com/matplotlib/mpl_finance
whose README says that it's basically unmaintained, and to help, get
in touch on matplotlib-users. Since I use it and would like to see
it continue to be available, I'm willing to help maintain it.

A helpful person on #matplotlib suggested that matplotlib-devel was
probably a better place than -users, so here I am. I am not by any
means a finance expert, but most of mpl_finance is basic functions
like fetching historical quotes and plotting them.

Anyway, if the current contributors want help maintaining mpl_finance,
I'm akkana on GitHub, or send me email. Or let me know if I should
re-post to matplotlib-users like the README said.

And thanks for all the ongoing work in maintaining matplotlib!

        ...Akkana

Re: mpl_finance maintenance

Eric Firing
Akkana,

Yes! Welcome!  (And this is the right mailing list.) Tom Caswell will
know what to do to provide appropriate access and advice, but in the
meantime I want to thank you for volunteering.  I think that financial
applications can be important for Matplotlib.  Indeed, the original
author of Matplotlib, John D. Hunter, worked in the finance industry
after his academic training in neuroscience.

See https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/pull/7762; I think it needs
more specific information for the user on where mpl_finance *is*.

A PyPi release is also needed.

I don't know what the status is with respect to any bugs in the package
as it stands now.

A question that just popped into my head is, does it make sense in the
long run for mpl_finance to build on pandas, which is designed to handle
the types of data encountered in finance?

Eric

On 2017/01/07 9:09 AM, Akkana Peck wrote:

> Hi, I'm new here (waves).
>
> I occasionally use matplotlib.finance (primarily for the historical
> quotes functions) and discovered that it's deprecated in matplotlib
> 2.0and has been split off into a separate module,
> https://github.com/matplotlib/mpl_finance
> whose README says that it's basically unmaintained, and to help, get
> in touch on matplotlib-users. Since I use it and would like to see
> it continue to be available, I'm willing to help maintain it.
>
> A helpful person on #matplotlib suggested that matplotlib-devel was
> probably a better place than -users, so here I am. I am not by any
> means a finance expert, but most of mpl_finance is basic functions
> like fetching historical quotes and plotting them.
>
> Anyway, if the current contributors want help maintaining mpl_finance,
> I'm akkana on GitHub, or send me email. Or let me know if I should
> re-post to matplotlib-users like the README said.
>
> And thanks for all the ongoing work in maintaining matplotlib!
>
>         ...Akkana

Re: mpl_finance maintenance

Great!

I think mpl-finance being explicitly pandas aware would be a reasonable thing to do (and the ability to do that is one of the selling points of spinning the mpl-* projects out of core mpl), but will make importing the functions back a bit tricky.

Akkana: you should have an invitation to join the mpl org with push right to mpl_finance.  In addition to doing a release on pypi I think the first critical task is to get sphinx docs for the project set up and hosted.  Even though you have push rights, please go through the standard PR review process.

Tom

Eric Firing writes:
> See https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/pull/7762; I think it needs
> more specific information for the user on where mpl_finance *is*.

Right now, I agree; it could use a pointer to the GitHub repository.
But if we put it on PyPI that becomes a lot less important.

Who should be the owner on PyPI? It's easy enough to submit it since
it already has a working setup.py, though the README/documentation
needs to be better (I can work on that). Should it be owned on PyPI
by the matplotlib project?

When I built mpl_finance from setup.py and pip installed it (--user),
pip pulled in version 1.5.3 of matplotlib rather than using my
system-installed matplotlib 2.0.0rc2, and nothing worked. I had to
comment out the install_requires line in setup.py. Once matplotlib
2.0 is the default on PyPI that won't be an issue, but it might be now.

> A question that just popped into my head is, does it make sense in the long
> run for mpl_finance to build on pandas, which is designed to handle the
> types of data encountered in finance?

It would be great to work with pandas if we add better stats
routines, things that could compete with R's finance packages.

It should still be able to run without pandas if all the user wants
is simple fetches and plots like it does now.

Thomas Caswell writes:
> Akkana: you should have an invitation to join the mpl org with push right
> to mpl_finance.  In addition to doing a release on pypi I think the first
> critical task is to get sphinx docs for the project set up and hosted.
> Even though you have push rights, please go through the standard PR review
> process.

Great! I'll start on sphinx docs first and submit a pull request
when I have something ready. I'm somewhat new to both pull requests
and sphinx, so I'll apologize in advance if my first submissions
need a little help. I'll try to use matplotlib as a model for where
to put the sphinx files, what theme to use, etc.

        ...Akkana

Re: mpl_finance maintenance

tcaswell
Can you add me as an additional owner on pypi (Thomas.Caswell is my username there)?

https://github.com/matplotlib/cycler is a better model to follow for the docs (it is much simpler).  See http://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/1.5.1/tutorial.html for how to get started with sphinx (which is iirc what I did for cycler).

Tom