[Matplotlib-devel] list moderation

We have a pretty high false-positive rate in the python.org mailing list moderation queues (mostly due to the 'must be a member to post' policy).  I just cleared them from May - now (which is why there is a huge spike in emails just now >:) )

Do we want to:
 a) relax that (at the cost of getting a bit more spam)
 b) some more people volunteer to help moderate the list

Re: list moderation

matplotlib - devel mailing list
Why not c) just discard all emails rejected with a message back to the user as to the explanation.  Up to the user to correct the problem and try again.  If they weren't a member, then become a member.  If you spam with large graphics, then upload it somewhere else and insert a link instead.

Re: list moderation

tcaswell
We should try to be an open and welcoming community.  Getting bounced from the mailing list is not the best first impression to a new user looking for help!

Tom

On Sat, Aug 5, 2017 at 12:49 PM OceanWolf <[hidden email]> wrote:
Why not c) just discard all emails rejected with a message back to the user as to the explanation.  Up to the user to correct the problem and try again.  If they weren't a member, then become a member.  If you spam with large graphics, then upload it somewhere else and insert a link instead.

Re: list moderation

Jody Klymak
You can just make the bounce message nice.  If you aren't a member of the list you can't expect to see the answer to your query anyways, so asking someone to be signed up for the list isnt particularly user hostile.  And nowhere near as bad as getting no answer at all for three months ;-).

Cheers.  Jody.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 5, 2017, at 10:18, Thomas Caswell <[hidden email]> wrote:

We should try to be an open and welcoming community.  Getting bounced from the mailing list is not the best first impression to a new user looking for help!

Tom

On Sat, Aug 5, 2017 at 12:49 PM OceanWolf <[hidden email]> wrote:
Why not c) just discard all emails rejected with a message back to the user as to the explanation.  Up to the user to correct the problem and try again.  If they weren't a member, then become a member.  If you spam with large graphics, then upload it somewhere else and insert a link instead.

Re: list moderation

matplotlib - devel mailing list
Exactamundo Jody, and add to that we have designated this list as a discussion place for developers, and not for a new user looking for help, as far as I know we had a separate list for that, "matplotlib-users", or did that disappear when we switched to python.org for the list hosting?

Best,
Ocean Wolf

Re: list moderation

Eric Firing
I think Tom is referring to the matplotlib-users list, not the devel
list.  Nevertheless, I agree with Jody that a well-designed bounce
message requesting signing up to the list, and including clear
instructions, would be fine.

Eric

On 2017/08/05 8:23 AM, OceanWolf via Matplotlib-devel wrote:

> Exactamundo Jody, and add to that we have designated this list as a
> discussion place for developers, and not for a new user looking for
> help, as far as I know we had a separate list for that,
> "matplotlib-users", or did that disappear when we switched to python.org
> for the list hosting?
>
> Best,
> Ocean Wolf

> *From:* Klymak Jody <[hidden email]>

Re: list moderation

tcaswell
I was thinking of the user list (https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/matplotlib-users which you should totally join oceanwolf ;) )

Off list Jody volunteered to help with moderating and I set my self up to get the moderation emails from the python.org lists.  With the two of us on this I think we should be set (but if anyone else wants to help I will not say no!).

Tom

On Sat, Aug 5, 2017 at 2:51 PM Eric Firing <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think Tom is referring to the matplotlib-users list, not the devel
list.  Nevertheless, I agree with Jody that a well-designed bounce
message requesting signing up to the list, and including clear
instructions, would be fine.

Eric

On 2017/08/05 8:23 AM, OceanWolf via Matplotlib-devel wrote:
> Exactamundo Jody, and add to that we have designated this list as a
> discussion place for developers, and not for a new user looking for
> help, as far as I know we had a separate list for that,
> "matplotlib-users", or did that disappear when we switched to python.org
> for the list hosting?
>
> Best,
> Ocean Wolf

> *From:* Klymak Jody <[hidden email]>

Mwahahahahaha, I lurk on the #matplotlib channel on irc.freenode.net :).