[Matplotlib-devel] how not to install backend_gtk{,agg}

[Matplotlib-devel] how not to install backend_gtk{,agg}

Sandro Tosi-4
Hello folks!
in Debian we're trying to phase out GTK2 and all its bindings,
including python-gtk2 and python-glade2

it looks like those modules are only used in backend_gtk{,agg}.py, so
i had a quick look on how to stop installing those backends (we
already provide the Gtk3 Cairo/Agg backends anyway)

Is there any better way than to comment setupext.BackendGtkAgg() and
setupext.BackendGtk() from setup.py (full disclosure, i havent tried
it yet if it actually works)? they seem to just check if the `gtk`
module is importable, but i dont want to rely on that module not being
available (as in this transition phase, it is possible other packages
still depend on it, pulling it in the installed pkgs and thus enable
it implicitly for mpl)

thanks!

Re: how not to install backend_gtk{,agg}

Sandro Tosi-4
oh yes youre right! i'll set gtk/gtkagg to false in the gui_support
section and see how that goes - thanks!

On Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 4:40 PM, Antony Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I believe that setting setup.cfg accordingly is the way to go.
> setup.cfg.template in the source tree includes the relevant instructions.
> Antony

>> Hello folks!
>> in Debian we're trying to phase out GTK2 and all its bindings,
>> including python-gtk2 and python-glade2
>>
>> it looks like those modules are only used in backend_gtk{,agg}.py, so
>> i had a quick look on how to stop installing those backends (we
>> already provide the Gtk3 Cairo/Agg backends anyway)
>>
>> Is there any better way than to comment setupext.BackendGtkAgg() and
>> setupext.BackendGtk() from setup.py (full disclosure, i havent tried
>> it yet if it actually works)? they seem to just check if the `gtk`
>> module is importable, but i dont want to rely on that module not being
>> available (as in this transition phase, it is possible other packages
>> still depend on it, pulling it in the installed pkgs and thus enable
>> it implicitly for mpl)
>>
>> thanks!

Sandro "morph" Tosi
My website: http://sandrotosi.me/