[Matplotlib-devel] feature request

Rogier Delporte
Dear maintainer(s)
Dear developpers

I would like to request a new matplotlib feature. The current version of matplotlib shows the coordinates of the cursor in the bottom right corner. It would be great if some option or mode could be added which snaps the cursor to data points. This would take some guesswork out of reading a plot with a lot of points.

I know this feature is similar to the mpldatacursor toolkit, but mpldatacursor does not provide a smooth and fast way to pinpoint a data point.

I hope someone would like to implement this feature, because I don't have sufficient programming skills to implement this myself.

Thanks for the awesomeness that is matplotlib!

Rogier

Re: feature request

Jody Klymak

Hi Rogier,

You can already do this by writing a format_coord function and setting ax.format_coord property of the axis with your data in it.

http://matplotlib.org/examples/api/image_zcoord.html

Cheers, Jody

On 29 Sep 2017, at 6:57, Rogier Delporte wrote:

Dear maintainer(s)
Dear developpers

I would like to request a new matplotlib feature. The current version of
matplotlib shows the coordinates of the cursor in the bottom right corner.
It would be great if some option or mode could be added which snaps the
cursor to data points. This would take some guesswork out of reading a plot
with a lot of points.

I know this feature is similar to the mpldatacursor toolkit, but
mpldatacursor does not provide a smooth and fast way to pinpoint a data
point.

I hope someone would like to implement this feature, because I don't have
sufficient programming skills to implement this myself.

Thanks for the awesomeness that is matplotlib!

Rogier

[Matplotlib-devel] feature request

Tune Kamae

Dear Developers,

I have been developing sound-guided matplotlib to assist blind students to trace curves on the 2D plots.

I figured out to implement what I want for plotted curves but still struggling to enable tracing the x and y axes. The sample plot I am working with is Axes.pickable. What I cannot figure out is to get majoraxislabels when a finger-touch event occurs within a fixed distance, eg. Picker=5 of x-axis.

First I have to figure out if the event is onaxes. I am using what I found in Matplotlib tutorials. How should I modified the codes below?

def onpick(event):

    thisline = event.artist

    xdata = thisline.get_xdata()

    ydata = thisline.get_ydata()

    ind = event.ind

    points = tuple(zip(xdata[ind], ydata[ind]))

    print('onpick points:', points)

    if onpick:

        print ("Data points picked")

        winsound.Beep(Freq,Dur)