[Matplotlib-devel] clim API interface

Gregor Mönke
Hello,

I hope this is the correct list I am writing to.. I am developing a data analysis GUI for basic biological research using PyQT and matplotlib to have interactive plots inside the UI (which works wonderfully). Recently I needed to add the possibility to interactively change the colormap limits (vmax, vmin) of an image plotted with imshow(). Before changing them, I want to retrieve the current values to fill the respective Qt line edits. Exploring the axes object creating the image, I found:

vmin, vmax = ax.images[0].get_clim()

which gives me exactly what I want. As this is rather undocumented, I wanted to ask if you consider that a save solution or if it's something which might change rather quickly in the release cycle? I don't want to build my application on API parts which might break quickly.. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Gregor

Re: clim API interface

Eric Firing
Gregor,

It's safe.  get_clim() is a documented public method of the
ScalarMappable mixin, inherited by all classes that handle color mapping.

Eric