[Matplotlib-devel] What's the plan for 2.0?

[Matplotlib-devel] What's the plan for 2.0?

Nelle Varoquaux
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there is a plan for releasing 2.0. Most of the
remaining tickets opened have proposed patches, and only one pull
request (the sticky edge one) seem to need a fair amount of work.

Re: What's the plan for 2.0?

matplotlib - devel mailing list
What about the new colour cycle?  Shouldn't we wait to get the green light from Tableua before pressing forwards with an official RC?  I would hate for us to get into legal (or even just mildly unpleasant) hot-water later on because of this.

Best,
OceanWolf

Re: What's the plan for 2.0?

Nelle Varoquaux
> What about the new colour cycle?  Shouldn't we wait to get the green light
> from Tableua before pressing forwards with an official RC?  I would hate for
> us to get into legal (or even just mildly unpleasant) hot-water later on
> because of this.

If this is a blocker for the release, I'd suggest trying to find
another color cycle that we'd be happy with.

> Best,
> OceanWolf
>
> ________________________________

Re: What's the plan for 2.0?

Nelle Varoquaux
> I propose doing rc1 this weekend.

That's great news! I look forward to it (my plots are finally going to
have tick labels on them!)

> Tom
>
> On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 2:20 PM Nelle Varoquaux <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I was wondering if there is a plan for releasing 2.0. Most of the
>> remaining tickets opened have proposed patches, and only one pull
>> request (the sticky edge one) seem to need a fair amount of work.
>>
>> Cheers,

Re: What's the plan for 2.0?

Nick Timkovich
What's the legal problem, parula vs. viridis as per that talk (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAoljeRJ3lU)? I thought viridis was engineered independently to be perceptually uniform and was just one output of a program designed to create those palettes.

Or something else entirely?

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 7:06 PM, OceanWolf via Matplotlib-devel <[hidden email]> wrote:
What about the new colour cycle?  Shouldn't we wait to get the green light from Tableua before pressing forwards with an official RC?  I would hate for us to get into legal (or even just mildly unpleasant) hot-water later on because of this.

Best,
OceanWolf

Re: What's the plan for 2.0?

matplotlib - devel mailing list
Something else entirely ;).  Not the colourmap, but the colourcycle for lines/barcharts/etcetera...

I just feel a bit odd doing an RC which releases the code out into the public wilderness as an RC, with this issue still lingering over us...