[Matplotlib-devel] Software 3D Renderer

Nicolas Rougier

I’ve coded a small pure Python 3D renderer (100 lines with loader, z-buffer, transformation, texture & light) available at https://github.com/rougier/tiny-renderer. But I’ve no idea if any part can be re-used for the 3D axis in matplotlib.

Nicolas

Re: Software 3D Renderer

Ryan May-3
Does that include rasterization?

Ryan

On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 10:32 AM Nicolas Rougier <[hidden email]> wrote:

I’ve coded a small pure Python 3D renderer (100 lines with loader, z-buffer, transformation, texture & light) available at https://github.com/rougier/tiny-renderer. But I’ve no idea if any part can be re-used for the 3D axis in matplotlib.

Nicolas

Ryan May

Re: Software 3D Renderer

Nicolas Rougier
Yes.

> On 8 Mar 2019, at 18:35, Ryan May <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Does that include rasterization?
>
> Ryan
>
> On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 10:32 AM Nicolas Rougier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I’ve coded a small pure Python 3D renderer (100 lines with loader, z-buffer, transformation, texture & light) available at https://github.com/rougier/tiny-renderer. But I’ve no idea if any part can be re-used for the 3D axis in matplotlib.
>

> Nicolas

> Ryan May

Re: Software 3D Renderer

tcaswell
Interesting.

I suspect that we could sub-class `Image` and propagate the RGBA array the renderer (the fiddly bits is getting the view port, size, resolution, etc plumbed through correctly).

If I am reading this correctly, we could use it as MeshArtist?

This may be an interesting GSoC project.

Tom