[Matplotlib-devel] SVG Tests on MacOS

Rob McDonald
I've finally had some time to return to my feature contribution and pull request:

I've added the pytest *.png and *.pdf baseline images, but I can't figure out how to generate the *.svg ones on my machine (MacOS).  The CI test framework passes on MacOS - but not on Linux.  This gives me a clue that maybe the SVG creation only happens on Linux.

There aren't any SVG related dependencies in the build instructions online (like for libpng).  There is one place where Inkscape <1.0 is listed as a requirement to generate SVG's -- I have Inkscape on my machine (1.0beta2), but I can't find any instructions to link it to MatPlotLib or to install an older version.  'brew install caskformula/caskformula/inkscape' bombs out complaining about 'inkscape: "cxx11" is not a recognized standard'.

It would be really great if one of the automated builds made the matplotlib/result_images/* available as an artifact for download (if it does already, I can't find it).  Both to provide a source for files that can't be generated locally -- and, if something actually does fail, to provide the visual debugging aid to the developer.  As it is, if a test fails in the CI framework (say on a platform a developer doesn't have) -- that does not fail on the dev's local machine -- what clues do they have to debug it?

It may be that real development of matplotlib can only be done on Linux -- but it would really help if the online docs were updated to make that clear.  I've spent half a day trying to get everything moved forward, set up, etc. for local development and testing -- only to come to the conclusion (I think) that it can't be done on a Mac.  As far as I can see, this isn't written down anywhere, but it seems to fit the situation.

Thanks for any help,

Rob

Re: SVG Tests on MacOS

Rob McDonald
I was able to dust off my Ubuntu VM and get the *.svg files built and added to my PR.  So, the immediate need is satisfied.

Any pointers on how to accomplish the same on MacOS - or pointers to appropriate docs that make this clear would still be appreciated.

Rob

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 7:36 PM Rob McDonald <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

tcaswell
Rob,

If you install inkscape (via your favorite method) and it is available in the PATH, the test suite _should_ find it.

Tom