[Matplotlib-devel] Release and branching plans for {2.2.4, 3.0.3, 3.1.0}

[Matplotlib-devel] Release and branching plans for {2.2.4, 3.0.3, 3.1.0}

First an apology, this should have gone out last week.

Paul Ivanov has agreed to co-manage this release cycle with me.

The rough plan is to do the bug fix releases at the end of this week (aiming for Feb 11 to have 2.2.4 and 3.0.3 released and available on pypi).  I don't think we need to do RCs for these.

At the same time as we tag 3.0.3 we will delete the 3.0.x and the 3.0.2-doc branch, create the 3.0.2-doc branch, and fork a 3.1.x branch off of master.  This will be feature-freeze for 3.1 and we will then use the back-port bot to move any remaining PR- for 3.1 to the 3.1.x branch.  I propose we aim for an RC1 sometime between Feb 18 and Feb 25 and a final release March 4.

Similarly when we tag 2.2.4 we will delete the 2.2.3-doc branch and create 2.2.4-doc (again, conserving the number of active branches we have).

If you have the power to add labels / milestones please mark things that you think must go in for 3.1 as release critical and re-milestone things you don't think will be done is the next few weeks as 3.2 (or needs-sorting).

So in summary:

Feb 11: release 2.2.4, 3.0.3
Feb 18: 3.1.0rc1
Mar 4: 3.1.0

Branches to be removed from matplotlib/matplotlib
 - v3.0.x
 - v3.0.2-doc
 - v2.2.3-doc

Branches to be added:
 - v3.1.x
 - v3.0.3-doc (we need this at least temporarily to put the DOI on after we tag)
 - v3.1.0-doc
 - v2.2.4-doc

Milestones to be closed:
 - v2.2.4
 - v3.1.0
 - v3.0.3
 - v3.0.2-doc

Milestones to be added:
 - v2.2.5
 - v3.1.1
 - v3.1-doc

Milestones to have their backport-targets changed:
 - v2.2-doc