[Matplotlib-devel] [REL] v2.1.2

Just tagged and pushed v2.1.2.

Kicked off the mac/linux wheel building system, emailed Christoph, and put a PR into conda-forge for the new binaries.

Will upload to pypi, updated the docs, and announce widely tomorrow night.

Thanks to everyone who worked on this.

On ward to 2.2.  If people have time please help with review / triage of what is critical for 2.2 and what needs to be pushed to 3.0.

Re: [REL] v2.1.2

Sandro Tosi
hello everyone,
while preparing the package for Debian i noticed that somewhere
between 2.0.0 and 2.1.1 mpl no longer read /etc/matplotlibrc (we
install that file to give a basic settings to every user without
requiring them to create a custom .config/matplotlibrc), or doesnt
understand it correctly (but i'm not sure about this last point, as i
copied matplotlibrc.template replacing the backend value and still
doesnt work).

with 2.0.0, running

python /usr/share/doc/python-matplotlib-doc//examples/shapes_and_collections/line_collection.py

shows the 2 images just fine, but with 2.1.1 installed:

python /usr/share/doc/python-matplotlib-doc//examples/shapes_and_collections/line_collection.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/matplotlib/__init__.py:941:
UserWarning: could not find rc file; returning defaults
 warnings.warn(message)

and of course no image is shown. backend is TkAgg in both cases.

do you know what's going on?

thanks in advance!

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 12:06 AM, Thomas Caswell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Just tagged and pushed v2.1.2.
>
> Kicked off the mac/linux wheel building system, emailed Christoph, and put a
> PR into conda-forge for the new binaries.
>
> Will upload to pypi, updated the docs, and announce widely tomorrow night.
>
> Thanks to everyone who worked on this.
>
> On ward to 2.2.  If people have time please help with review / triage of
> what is critical for 2.2 and what needs to be pushed to 3.0.
>
> Tom

Sandro "morph" Tosi
My website: http://sandrotosi.me/
G+: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+SandroTosi

Re: [REL] v2.1.2

Elliott Sales de Andrade
Hi Sandro,

I don't think Matplotlib searches in that location by default. Doesn't Debian also use the patch to modify the search path that we use on Fedora?

On Jan 18, 2018 7:27 PM, "Sandro Tosi" <[hidden email]> wrote:
hello everyone,
while preparing the package for Debian i noticed that somewhere
between 2.0.0 and 2.1.1 mpl no longer read /etc/matplotlibrc (we
install that file to give a basic settings to every user without
requiring them to create a custom .config/matplotlibrc), or doesnt
understand it correctly (but i'm not sure about this last point, as i
copied matplotlibrc.template replacing the backend value and still
doesnt work).

with 2.0.0, running

python /usr/share/doc/python-matplotlib-doc//examples/shapes_and_collections/line_collection.py

shows the 2 images just fine, but with 2.1.1 installed:

python /usr/share/doc/python-matplotlib-doc//examples/shapes_and_collections/line_collection.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/matplotlib/__init__.py:941:
UserWarning: could not find rc file; returning defaults
 warnings.warn(message)

and of course no image is shown. backend is TkAgg in both cases.

do you know what's going on?

thanks in advance!

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 12:06 AM, Thomas Caswell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Just tagged and pushed v2.1.2.
>
> Kicked off the mac/linux wheel building system, emailed Christoph, and put a
> PR into conda-forge for the new binaries.
>
> Will upload to pypi, updated the docs, and announce widely tomorrow night.
>
> Thanks to everyone who worked on this.
>
> On ward to 2.2.  If people have time please help with review / triage of
> what is critical for 2.2 and what needs to be pushed to 3.0.
>
> Tom

Sandro "morph" Tosi
My website: http://sandrotosi.me/
G+: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+SandroTosi

Re: [REL] v2.1.2

tcaswell
As an update, finalizing the release is waiting on travis to finish building the mac wheels.

Tom

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 8:07 PM Elliott Sales de Andrade <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Sandro,

I don't think Matplotlib searches in that location by default. Doesn't Debian also use the patch to modify the search path that we use on Fedora?

On Jan 18, 2018 7:27 PM, "Sandro Tosi" <[hidden email]> wrote:
hello everyone,
while preparing the package for Debian i noticed that somewhere
between 2.0.0 and 2.1.1 mpl no longer read /etc/matplotlibrc (we
install that file to give a basic settings to every user without
requiring them to create a custom .config/matplotlibrc), or doesnt
understand it correctly (but i'm not sure about this last point, as i
copied matplotlibrc.template replacing the backend value and still
doesnt work).

with 2.0.0, running

python /usr/share/doc/python-matplotlib-doc//examples/shapes_and_collections/line_collection.py

shows the 2 images just fine, but with 2.1.1 installed:

python /usr/share/doc/python-matplotlib-doc//examples/shapes_and_collections/line_collection.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/matplotlib/__init__.py:941:
UserWarning: could not find rc file; returning defaults
 warnings.warn(message)

and of course no image is shown. backend is TkAgg in both cases.

do you know what's going on?

thanks in advance!

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 12:06 AM, Thomas Caswell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Just tagged and pushed v2.1.2.
>
> Kicked off the mac/linux wheel building system, emailed Christoph, and put a
> PR into conda-forge for the new binaries.
>
> Will upload to pypi, updated the docs, and announce widely tomorrow night.
>
> Thanks to everyone who worked on this.
>
> On ward to 2.2.  If people have time please help with review / triage of
> what is critical for 2.2 and what needs to be pushed to 3.0.
>
> Tom

Sandro "morph" Tosi
My website: http://sandrotosi.me/
G+: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+SandroTosi

Re: [REL] v2.1.2

Sandro Tosi
thanks Elliott! we had a similar (but outdated) patch, now it works just fine!

looking at your fedora-patches branch, i noticed u to have several
change to adapt image_comparison threshold. we are in a similar
position: this is the result of the test suite while building the
package:

950 failed, 5955 passed, 26 skipped, 2 deselected, 5 xfailed, 1
xpassed, 5 warnings in 600.83 seconds
950 failed, 5940 passed, 28 skipped, 2 deselected, 7 xfailed, 1
xpassed, 5 warnings in 1543.66 seconds
951 failed, 5955 passed, 25 skipped, 2 deselected, 5 xfailed, 1
xpassed, 14 warnings in 574.67 seconds
951 failed, 5940 passed, 27 skipped, 2 deselected, 7 xfailed, 1
xpassed, 14 warnings in 838.53 seconds

(2.7, 2.7-debug, 3.6, 3.6-debug) and the count of the
ImageComparisonFailure failures is 3800 (which is basically hiding any
possible other relevant failure). sometimes RMS is as high as 111!

i'm not really sure what the right approach would be but it seems this
set of tests is currently not providing much useful information: from
a distribution POV what should we do? keep bumping the threshold until
they stop failing? (and i know we discussed this multiple times, sorry
to rehash it again :) )