[Matplotlib-devel] REL: v1.5.2rc2

tcaswell
Hey folks,

I just tagged rc2.

This includes a some-what aggressive backport of the reworking of how we link into Tk to decouple from the exact version of tk we are compiled against (https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/pull/6442)

As such, please try to build this on your your systems and verify that mpl builds and works correctly with the tkagg backend.

A major motivation for including this in the 1.5.2 release is that we can now release wheels for all of the major platforms.  Much of the credit for this should go to the tireless Matthew Brett.

The new rc (and the old one) should be available (assuming the CI passes) for conda via

   conda install -c conda-forge/channel/rc matplotlib

Re: REL: v1.5.2rc2

Sandro Tosi-4
Hey Thomas & mpl developer,
I just pushed 1.5.2rc2 to debian, let's see if some of the weirdest
archs complain - I will report here if they do

On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 3:44 AM, Thomas Caswell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> I just tagged rc2.
>
> This includes a some-what aggressive backport of the reworking of how we
> link into Tk to decouple from the exact version of tk we are compiled
> against (https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/pull/6442)
>
> As such, please try to build this on your your systems and verify that mpl
> builds and works correctly with the tkagg backend.
>
> A major motivation for including this in the 1.5.2 release is that we can
> now release wheels for all of the major platforms.  Much of the credit for
> this should go to the tireless Matthew Brett.
>
> The new rc (and the old one) should be available (assuming the CI passes)
> for conda via
>
>    conda install -c conda-forge/channel/rc matplotlib
>
> Tom

Sandro "morph" Tosi
My website: http://sandrotosi.me/
G+: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+SandroTosi

Re: REL: v1.5.2rc2

tcaswell
How long does that tend to take to run?  We should probably hold off on a 1.5.2 final until we hear back.

Tom

On Mon, May 30, 2016 at 4:34 PM Sandro Tosi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Thomas & mpl developer,
I just pushed 1.5.2rc2 to debian, let's see if some of the weirdest
archs complain - I will report here if they do

On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 3:44 AM, Thomas Caswell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> I just tagged rc2.
>
> This includes a some-what aggressive backport of the reworking of how we
> link into Tk to decouple from the exact version of tk we are compiled
> against (https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/pull/6442)
>
> As such, please try to build this on your your systems and verify that mpl
> builds and works correctly with the tkagg backend.
>
> A major motivation for including this in the 1.5.2 release is that we can
> now release wheels for all of the major platforms.  Much of the credit for
> this should go to the tireless Matthew Brett.
>
> The new rc (and the old one) should be available (assuming the CI passes)
> for conda via
>
>    conda install -c conda-forge/channel/rc matplotlib
>
> Tom

Sandro "morph" Tosi
My website: http://sandrotosi.me/
G+: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+SandroTosi

Re: REL: v1.5.2rc2

Matthew Brett

On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 7:44 PM, Thomas Caswell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> I just tagged rc2.
>
> This includes a some-what aggressive backport of the reworking of how we
> link into Tk to decouple from the exact version of tk we are compiled
> against (https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/pull/6442)
>
> As such, please try to build this on your your systems and verify that mpl
> builds and works correctly with the tkagg backend.
>
> A major motivation for including this in the 1.5.2 release is that we can
> now release wheels for all of the major platforms.  Much of the credit for
> this should go to the tireless Matthew Brett.
>
> The new rc (and the old one) should be available (assuming the CI passes)
> for conda via
>
>    conda install -c conda-forge/channel/rc matplotlib

Y'all can test the new manylinux wheels with:

python -m pip install --upgrade pip  # upgrade to latest pip
pip install -f https://nipy.bic.berkeley.edu/manylinux --pre matplotlib

In particular, I'd love to know whether this works for you:

>>> import matplotlib
>>> matplotlib.use('tkagg')
>>> import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
>>> plt.plot(range(10))
>>> plt.show()

Cheers,

Matthew

Re: REL: v1.5.2rc2

Sandro Tosi-4
on almost all architectures, it has already built or building right
now (you can see its progress at
https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=matplotlib) so I expect
within today we'll have most (if not all) of the archs will be done

On Mon, May 30, 2016 at 9:44 PM, Thomas Caswell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How long does that tend to take to run?  We should probably hold off on a
> 1.5.2 final until we hear back.
>
> Tom
>
> On Mon, May 30, 2016 at 4:34 PM Sandro Tosi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hey Thomas & mpl developer,
>> I just pushed 1.5.2rc2 to debian, let's see if some of the weirdest
>> archs complain - I will report here if they do
>>
>> On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 3:44 AM, Thomas Caswell <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Hey folks,
>> >
>> > I just tagged rc2.
>> >
>> > This includes a some-what aggressive backport of the reworking of how we
>> > link into Tk to decouple from the exact version of tk we are compiled
>> > against (https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/pull/6442)
>> >
>> > As such, please try to build this on your your systems and verify that
>> > mpl
>> > builds and works correctly with the tkagg backend.
>> >
>> > A major motivation for including this in the 1.5.2 release is that we
>> > can
>> > now release wheels for all of the major platforms.  Much of the credit
>> > for
>> > this should go to the tireless Matthew Brett.
>> >
>> > The new rc (and the old one) should be available (assuming the CI
>> > passes)
>> > for conda via
>> >
>> >    conda install -c conda-forge/channel/rc matplotlib
>> >
>> > Tom

>> --
>> Sandro "morph" Tosi
>> My website: http://sandrotosi.me/
>> Me at Debian: http://wiki.debian.org/SandroTosi
>> G+: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+SandroTosi

--
Sandro "morph" Tosi
My website: http://sandrotosi.me/
G+: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+SandroTosi

Re: REL: v1.5.2rc2

Sandro Tosi-4
it built just fine on all the archs except on mips (but it is usually
a slow build architecture and might take other several days there) so
if you were holding on this for releasing 1.5.2 final and nothing else
came up in the meantime, then i think we're good to go