[Matplotlib-devel] Markup text

Nicolas P. Rougier

Based on the example rainbow_text.py in the gallery, I've tried to implement a simple markup extension to the text directive (see code below). It's far from complete but I would like to know if there's any interest in that and if it's worth making a MEP (and if yes, could someone remind me the procedure for doing that ?).

The idea is to be able to use pango-like markup text for quick/small changes of the text:

Examples:

"Hello <b>world</b>!"
"Hello <span color=blue>world</span>!"
"Hello <span family=serif size=x-small>world</span>"

Currently, the implementation only works for non-rotated text.

Nicolas

markup.py (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Markup text

tcaswell
Nicolas,

Put an a PR adding a file to https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/tree/master/doc/devel/MEP is the current MEP procedure.

Tom

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 1:09 AM Nicolas P. Rougier <[hidden email]> wrote:

Based on the example rainbow_text.py in the gallery, I've tried to implement a simple markup extension to the text directive (see code below). It's far from complete but I would like to know if there's any interest in that and if it's worth making a MEP (and if yes, could someone remind me the procedure for doing that ?).

The idea is to be able to use pango-like markup text for quick/small changes of the text:

Examples:

"Hello <b>world</b>!"
"Hello <span color=blue>world</span>!"
"Hello <span family=serif size=x-small>world</span>"

Currently, the implementation only works for non-rotated text.

Nicolas

Re: Markup text

Nicolas P. Rougier
Thanks Thomas.

Just realized I've an old MEP (MEP28 https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/pull/4384), should I create a MEP29 instead ? How do I know if someone else is already working on a different MEP 29 ?

Nicolas

> On 14 Oct 2016, at 16:06, Thomas Caswell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Nicolas,
>
> Put an a PR adding a file to https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/tree/master/doc/devel/MEP is the current MEP procedure.
>
> Tom
>
> On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 1:09 AM Nicolas P. Rougier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Based on the example rainbow_text.py in the gallery, I've tried to implement a simple markup extension to the text directive (see code below). It's far from complete but I would like to know if there's any interest in that and if it's worth making a MEP (and if yes, could someone remind me the procedure for doing that ?).
>
> The idea is to be able to use pango-like markup text for quick/small changes of the text:
>

> Examples:
>
> "Hello <b>world</b>!"
> "Hello <span color=blue>world</span>!"
> "Hello <span family=serif size=x-small>world</span>"
>

> Currently, the implementation only works for non-rotated text.
>

> Nicolas

Re: Markup text

matplotlib - devel mailing list
Good question, the only answer we have right now revolves around changing the MEP number at merge time into trunk.  If changing the MEP number exists as the only thing left to do, then it will get merged straight away, easy, so no having to come back to change it a 2nd time.
Best,
Oceanwolf

> On 14 Oct 2016, at 16:06, Thomas Caswell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Nicolas,
>
> Put an a PR adding a file to https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/tree/master/doc/devel/MEP is the current MEP procedure.
>
> Tom
>
> On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 1:09 AM Nicolas P. Rougier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Based on the example rainbow_text.py in the gallery, I've tried to implement a simple markup extension to the text directive (see code below). It's far from complete but I would like to know if there's any interest in that and if it's worth making a MEP (and if yes, could someone remind me the procedure for doing that ?).
>
> The idea is to be able to use pango-like markup text for quick/small changes of the text:
>

> Examples:
>
> "Hello <b>world</b>!"
> "Hello <span color=blue>world</span>!"
> "Hello <span family=serif size=x-small>world</span>"
>

> Currently, the implementation only works for non-rotated text.
>

> Nicolas

Re: Markup text

Antony Lee
Wouldn't it make more sense to implement this as improvements to mathtext? instead of

"Hello <b>world</b>!"
"Hello <span color=blue>world</span>!"
"Hello <span family=serif size=x-small>world</span>"

have

r"$\text{Hello \textbf{world}}$"
r"$\text{Hello \textcolor{blue}{world}}$"
r"$\text{Hello \textsf{\small world}}$"

You'll be able to have a better layout this way too (reusing the mathtext layout engine).
One could have some helper if "$\text{}$" is too much to type (but TBH you immediately gain back on the fact that you don't need closing tags...).

Antony

Good question, the only answer we have right now revolves around changing the MEP number at merge time into trunk.  If changing the MEP number exists as the only thing left to do, then it will get merged straight away, easy, so no having to come back to change it a 2nd time.
Best,
Oceanwolf

> On 14 Oct 2016, at 16:06, Thomas Caswell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Nicolas,
>
> Put an a PR adding a file to https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/tree/master/doc/devel/MEP is the current MEP procedure.
>
> Tom
>
> On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 1:09 AM Nicolas P. Rougier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Based on the example rainbow_text.py in the gallery, I've tried to implement a simple markup extension to the text directive (see code below). It's far from complete but I would like to know if there's any interest in that and if it's worth making a MEP (and if yes, could someone remind me the procedure for doing that ?).
>
> The idea is to be able to use pango-like markup text for quick/small changes of the text:
>

> Examples:
>
> "Hello <b>world</b>!"
> "Hello <span color=blue>world</span>!"
> "Hello <span family=serif size=x-small>world</span>"
>

> Currently, the implementation only works for non-rotated text.
>

> Nicolas

Re: Markup text

Nicolas P. Rougier

Done, just opened: https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/pull/7291