[Matplotlib-devel] Is Matplotlib suitable for automatically rendering many charts per day?

[Matplotlib-devel] Is Matplotlib suitable for automatically rendering many charts per day?

Dave Krinkel

Hello, new subscriber here, and total Matploblib newbie. More accurately, I have not even attained newbie status as I haven’t played with Matplotlib yet. I thought I would pick your collective brain to see if I am in the right place.

I’m developing an application which will monitor daily electricity use for businesses. I need to render relatively simple charts (mainly area charts) every day, eventually thousands of them per day. They will not be interactive charts, in fact I need to render them as PNG’s.

I currently use SQL Server’s Reporting Services to do this, but it is way too slow for the volumes I’m talking about. So I’m thinking of using Python and a chart library, which brought me to Matplotlib.

As I said, the charts are not complicated, but I need precise control over dimensions, colors, axis labels, things like that. And most importantly, rendering must be fast.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions/advice.

Regards,

Dave

Dave Krinkel

[hidden email]

Berkeley, CA | 510.847.6103

www.energyai.com

EAiFullLogowSmileDocHdr

Re: Is Matplotlib suitable for automatically rendering many charts per day?

Benjamin Root
Yes, matplotlib is exactly the right tool for this job. Please peruse through our gallery for the many different kinds of plots you can make. And just about everything is customizable in one way or another.

Looking forward to hearing more questions from you as you explore this tool. You might get a wider audience, though, from the matplotlib-users list. This list is more for discussions between developers, and deeper questions about design and architecture of the library.

Cheers!
Ben Root

On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 8:08 PM, Dave Krinkel <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Berkeley, CA | <a href="tel:(510)%20847-6103" value="+15108476103" target="_blank">510.847.6103

www.energyai.com

EAiFullLogowSmileDocHdr