[Matplotlib-devel] Gasoline Rainbow: a modernized prism colormap

[Matplotlib-devel] Gasoline Rainbow: a modernized prism colormap

Michael Waters
Hi All,

I have developed a colormap, gasoline_rainbow, with high local contrast
that is also perceptually uniform and linear luminant. It fulfills a
similar role as prism but has some non-local contrast due to it's linear
luminance.

You can see it here:
https://gitlab.com/mjwaters/gasoline-rainbow-colormap/-/tree/master

Is there any interest in including this map in MPL?  I think it could
fill a role missing from the default options.

Cheers,

-Mike

Re: Gasoline Rainbow: a modernized prism colormap

Hannah
Hi,
This looks cool, but it might be better as either a stand alone package (add the `Famework :: Matplotlib` classifier for better discoverability) or bundled into https://github.com/holoviz/colorcet or https://github.com/pyviz/contrib_colormaps. You may also consider writing it up and submitting it to JOSS, similar to CMasher (https://joss.theoj.org/papers/10.21105/joss.02004).
Thanks,
Hannah

On Tue, Mar 3, 2020 at 1:32 PM Michael J. Waters <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

I have developed a colormap, gasoline_rainbow, with high local contrast
that is also perceptually uniform and linear luminant. It fulfills a
similar role as prism but has some non-local contrast due to it's linear
luminance.

You can see it here:
https://gitlab.com/mjwaters/gasoline-rainbow-colormap/-/tree/master

Is there any interest in including this map in MPL?  I think it could
fill a role missing from the default options.

Cheers,

-Mike

Re: Gasoline Rainbow: a modernized prism colormap

Michael Waters

Hi Greg,

I think having monotonic luminance is good because the viewer still gets information on the overall position in the data set, not just local contrast (like with prism).  If there is sufficient interest, I could try constructing a new version that forgoes linear luminance for monotonic luminance but still is perceptually uniform.

-Mike

On 3/4/20 2:25 PM, Isaac Gerg wrote:
I think its a good colormap for exploratory analysis.  I would include it in the baseline.

Lots of people bag on jet or rainbow but for exploratory analysis where you have data of a large dynamic range, linear luminance is not something you want.  I think this would be a good substitute.

On Tue, Mar 3, 2020 at 1:32 PM Michael J. Waters <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

I have developed a colormap, gasoline_rainbow, with high local contrast
that is also perceptually uniform and linear luminant. It fulfills a
similar role as prism but has some non-local contrast due to it's linear
luminance.

You can see it here:
https://gitlab.com/mjwaters/gasoline-rainbow-colormap/-/tree/master

Is there any interest in including this map in MPL?  I think it could
fill a role missing from the default options.

Cheers,

-Mike

Re: Gasoline Rainbow: a modernized prism colormap

Michael Waters

Hi all,

I don't know if anyone other than Isaac Gerg is interested, but gasoline_rainbow has about 5.3x the total contrast of viridis. I understand there are some aesthetic issues with the colormap, but as an upgrade for prism, I don't think it's too bad.

Cheers,

-Mike

On 3/4/20 3:12 PM, Isaac Gerg wrote:
sorry, I didnt mean monotonic luminance but repeating colors. I think the colormap is useful as it stands.

Isaac