[Matplotlib-devel] GSoC 2017: Layout Manager

[Matplotlib-devel] GSoC 2017: Layout Manager

Kanchana Ranasinghe
Hi

I'm an electronics and telecommunications engineering student from University Moratuwa, Sri Lanka. I am interested in the matplotlib project Layout Manager.

I have done some work with python and am quite familiar with python and regular libraries like numpy, scipy. I have also been involved in some machine learning and computer vision related research at university, so I am familiar with contraint solvers as well as most common AI related algorithms.

I am going through the Cassowary library for now. I couldn't find the issues on the mailing list related to this. Could you share with me the detailed expectations of this project?

Also do let me know how else I can get involved for now.

Thank you.

With Regards
Kanchana Ranasinghe

Re: GSoC 2017: Layout Manager

Hannah
I'd suggest looking through the geometry manager labels (https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3A%22geometry+manager%22), but hopefully a developer more familiar with layout manager tasks can chime in.

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 5:11 AM, Kanchana Ranasinghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you very much. I did go through the issue tracker. Looking for related issues. I went through a few related to layouts and fonts. If you can guide me to any specific issues well related to this that would be really helpful.

Thank you again.

With Regards
Kanchana Ranasinghe

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 7:39 AM, Hannah <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, please check out the issue tracker at https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/issues

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 11:45 PM, Kanchana Ranasinghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks so much. I did go through the issues. I will need to familiarize myself with the layout manager as well. I was also going through the categorical color project which seems interesting. Could you share something more about the 'categorical color' project?

With Regards
Kanchana Ranasinghe

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 11:21 PM, Hannah <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Sorry for being late on this, but essentially the categorical color project is about building out support for this idea that strings can be as much data as numbers and so you should be able to map them to colors just as you can numerical data. The categorical project on github has an open PR where I'm trying out one approach to tackle the problem, but there are other approaches too. Here's an example of what I'm aiming for http://story645.github.io/jekyll/update/2016/08/22/color.html

Please feel free to ask questions.

On Mar 25, 2017 12:56 AM, "Kanchana Ranasinghe" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thank you very much. And extremely sorry for the delay on my side too. I was really lost and struggling with understanding everything. I did read through the example as well as most of your GSOC log last year. It was really helpful in getting a good grasp on everything.

I understood the work done in axis ticks for categorical data. I also read through the open PR (#6934), and #6214. I still couldn't exactly understand what #6802 is about though. I also went through #7383 and am trying to work on that. Is this a good starting point for me? I still don't think have a great overall idea about everything.

Also I am writing a proposal. I was thinking of going with your approach and extending categorical support for imshow. Is this a good idea for the project? Really sorry about all the small questions. I am somewhat new to opensource and finding it quite difficult.

Thank you.

With Regards
Kanchana Ranasinghe

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 1:41 PM, Hannah <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

No problem, ask away, that's what this period of the application process is for.  6802 and 6214 are mostly asking for the same thing, which is basically to allow users to pass in a list of labels to scatterplot for the coloring and have the dots colored accordingly and then autogenerate a legend from that. I think #7383 might be a good place to start in terms of the proposal, but that if you're still confused you should start by reading the colormap and normalization documentation.,

I think you should work on whatever appeals to you/will make your own work easier. Also, make sure to follow the mpl contribution guide: https://github.com/numfocus/gsoc/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING-students.md

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 3:01 PM, Kanchana Ranasinghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thank you very much. Yes I will first finish going through the colormap and normalization documentation. And will write down what I plan to work on. I am following the guide and also went through some previous NumFocus proposals. Will follow those guidelines.

About this project. I find this quite interesting and feel this would fit me well. So I will work on this and share the proposal with you soon.

Thank you.

With Regards
Kanchana Ranasinghe

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 12:31 AM, Kanchana Ranasinghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I made a sample proposal. Could you let me know if it is okay?

I still have to add some more details at the end.

Thank you very much.

With Regards
Kanchana Ranasinghe

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 12:46 PM, Kanchana Ranasinghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Please be more explicit in what is confusing you.
Thank you

On Mar 31, 2017 1:41 PM, "Kanchana Ranasinghe" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

Thank you very much for the comments. Will change those.

Also about scalarMappables. I read through the documentation and also the code at matplotlib.cm.ScalarMappable. Is this a wrong place I am looking at? Can you explain a little bit about scalarMappables. I am confused about that.

Thank you.

With Regards
Kanchana Ranasinghe

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 9:18 PM, Kanchana Ranasinghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

ScalarMappables takes in an array of scalar values and returns RGBA values relevant to each scalar. This is what I thought. Is this correct?

And by different types of scalarMappables, do you mean the different class objects in colormaps, pyploy, etc.?

With Regards
Kanchana Ranasinghe

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 11:13 PM, Hannah <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Kind of? I think we may be talking about the same thing from different angles. I'm thinking about any function that takes in (and therefore returns) a cmap & norm that can then be passed into scalerMappables to make a colorbar. This includes stuff like imshow, matshow, pcolor, pcolormesh, scatter, and probably others.

Re: GSoC 2017: Layout Manager

Kanchana Ranasinghe
Thanks a lot. I got it.

With Regards
Kanchana Ranasinghe

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 11:34 PM, Hannah <[hidden email]> wrote:
Kind of? I think we may be talking about the same thing from different angles. I'm thinking about any function that takes in (and therefore returns) a cmap & norm that can then be passed into scalerMappables to make a colorbar. This includes stuff like imshow, matshow, pcolor, pcolormesh, scatter, and probably others.

Re: GSoC 2017: Layout Manager

Kanchana Ranasinghe
Hi,

Really sorry for constantly troubling you over the weekend. Another small question about something I'm confused about. Regarding categorical data support for the norm and cmap functions.

Currently, norm maps numerical data to [0,1] interval and cmap assigns different colors to each point of [0,1] interval. This integrates with the various scalarMappables to plot data. In making categorical units support, norm will map strings to [0,1] interval and cmaps will remain the same. Is this correct?

Thank you

With Regards
Kanchana Ranasinghe