[Matplotlib-devel] Fwd: Mentored sprints for underrepresented folks @PyCon US

Northwest UK PyLadies

Mentored sprints for diverse beginners: May 4th 2019, 2:35pm

Join us for the first PyCon US mentored sprints for diverse beginners

We are very excited to announce the mentored sprints for diverse members of the Python community  🎉🐍🙌

When: 4th of May 2019 from 2:35pm to 6:35 pm, during the main section of PyCon.

Its main aim is to support folks from underrepresented groups in our community that want to start contributing to open source projects. We will provide mentorship during the day as well as git support and an introduction to open source contributions.

Applications for mentors and attendees are open until the 14th of March 2019!

Mentors /maintainers

We are looking for mentors and/or core developers/maintainers of open source projects interested in taking part in the sprint and mentor the attendees over the day.

What you need to know

  • The sprint will last from 2:35pm - 6:30pm but it will be divided in two slots of 2 hours so you can choose between a 2 and 4 hours commitment to the sprint.
  • You do not need to maintain a project or to have merge access to a project to mentor on the day
  • There can be more than one mentor per project. We will provide you with guidance and help to prepare for the day (i.e. have beginners friendly issues, provide advice on how to better serve a diverse community, and provide you with as much support as needed.
  • You do not need previous experience with sprints and/or mentoring.
Go to mentors sign up

Contributors/attendees

  • You do not need to have previous experience contributing to open source
  • We will provide on-site guidance and mentoring
  • We strongly encourage members from underrepresented groups in our community to attend
  • It is a great opportunity to learn and meet others in the community
Go to contributors sign up

If you want to contact the organisers please email us at [hidden email]

For more details visit https://us.pycon.org/2019/hatchery/mentoredsprints/

Please share with your network  🐍

OR

Share this