[Matplotlib-devel] Docathon: let's get excited about writing documentation!

[Matplotlib-devel] Docathon: let's get excited about writing documentation!

Nelle Varoquaux
Hi Matplotlib team!

As we've been hinting both on the gitter chanel and in the emails, some of us are involved in organizing a docathon. The goal is to try to have opensource developers focus on writing and improving documentation for one week! Some cities will be able to have a dedicated place for developers to meet, but most of it should happen remotely.

I will be participating with the goal to improve Matplotlib's documentation. Both Thomas and Hannah will also participate. I was wondering if other people would be interested in participating: it can be first by just reviewing documentation related pull request this week or by actually working on improving our documentation. If other people are interested, we can set a list of goals both for us to focus on but also for new contributors to help us.

Here are a couple of ideas.
- integrate Nicolas Rougier's matplotlib tutorial to our documentation. I believe we have his permission to do this, but this might be worth checking.
- re-organize a bit the website to have the tutorials more prominent.
- finish the sphinx-gallery migration. If we all did 10 examples, it could easily be done during that week.
- Set up sklearn's really cool tool to help review documentation related pull request. (I actually hope to have this done *before* the docathon).
- (not doable in a week but overall better website organization)

Any ideas and contributions welcome