[Matplotlib-devel] Data exploration tools when plotting

[Matplotlib-devel] Data exploration tools when plotting

Isaac Gerg
Are there any plans to put in data exploration tools into plotting?  For example, if I do a simple plt.plot(np.sin(np.linspace(0,2*np.pi), 100); plt.show(), putting a tool in the toolbar whereby I can click on a point and get its x,y value?

Thanks,
Isaac

Re: Data exploration tools when plotting

Federico Ariza-2
Hello

There are no immediate plans, but the new ToolbarManager makes it pretty easy for you to implement different kind of tools and add them to the toolbar.

Take a look at the example https://matplotlib.org/examples/user_interfaces/toolmanager.html and let me know if it helps

Federico

On Apr 28, 2017 1:10 PM, "Isaac Gerg" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Are there any plans to put in data exploration tools into plotting?  For example, if I do a simple plt.plot(np.sin(np.linspace(0,2*np.pi), 100); plt.show(), putting a tool in the toolbar whereby I can click on a point and get its x,y value?

Thanks,
Isaac

Re: Data exploration tools when plotting

tcaswell
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/mpldatacursor and http://glueviz.org/en/stable/ might also be of interest.

There is already the mouse position read out, which is not specific to the point, but can be 'good enough'

If you have a specific application, the tools are there to build it: https://matplotlib.org/users/event_handling.html

Tom

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 4:40 PM Antony Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
Antony

[...]

I've never heard of nexpy -- thanks for sharing!

Aside from having a simple tool to explore data in a fashion similar to matlab, it would be nice to have a properties editor so that one can futz with the linestyle's etc until satisfied and then be able to update their rc file.

Isaac

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 2:25 PM, Osborn, Raymond <[hidden email]> wrote:
It is probably overkill for what you want, but perhaps I can put a plug in for NeXpy (http://nexpy.github.io/nexpy/), which embeds a Matplotlib window in a PyQt GUI that includes an IPython shell. It automatically shows the cursor positions in the Options tab. Your question makes me realize that it would be easy to store the values of a cursor click in shell variables - it is used programmatically in a few places, but the values are not currently accessible from the shell. I am releasing a new version soon, so I will see if I can include it.

NeXpy is designed as a simple toolbox for viewing and manipulating HDF5 files, with an underlying API that allows you to construct HDF5 data structures in memory before saving them. However, you can do a lot in the shell without needing to save the data as HDF5. Using your example, you would just need to type in the shell

    >>> x=np.linspace(0, 2*np.pi, 100)
    >>> NXdata(np.sin(x), x).plot()

Ray

On May 3, 2017, at 9:19 AM, Isaac Gerg <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Apr 28, 2017 1:10 PM, "Isaac Gerg" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Are there any plans to put in data exploration tools into plotting?  For example, if I do a simple plt.plot(np.sin(np.linspace(0,2*np.pi), 100); plt.show(), putting a tool in the toolbar whereby I can click on a point and get its x,y value?

Thanks,
Isaac

Ray Osborn, Senior Scientist
Materials Science Division
Argonne National Laboratory
Argonne, IL 60439, USA
Phone: <a href="tel:(630)%20252-9011" value="+16302529011" target="_blank">+1 (630) 252-9011
Email: [hidden email]