[Matplotlib-devel] 2017-01-23 phone call notes

[Matplotlib-devel] 2017-01-23 phone call notes

Today we had my self, nellev and efiring.

 - Discussed that we have had surprisingly few 2.0 related bug reports, unclear if we have not had uptake yet or if we really didn't break all that much

 - Discussed existing branches on upstream, tried to see if we could restrict permissions to create new branches on upstream, seems like not (coupled to write permissions).  Please be careful to not push new branches to upstream!

 - CI is taking too long, how to speed up:
   - drop builds on PRs (and only do on master), candidates are dropping 3.4 or 3.5
   - reduce appveyor matrix on PRs
   - (not discussed on call) raise ~500$USD / yr to get 2 appveyor builds.
   - make the doc build faster (can we cache anything?)
   - auto-canceling super-ceded PR builds is in beta on travis. Just being patient might work here.

 - BIDS is working on a distributed 'doc-a-thon', (Nelle will follow up with details if mpl wants to participate).
   - discussed difficulty of reviewing doc changes (are they correct? is english correct? is it formatted properly?)

 - discussed possibility of a in-person sprint (again Nelle will follow up)

Please correct me if I missed anything, wrote this from memory after the fact.

Tom

PS Sorry for stealing some of your thunder Nelle :(

Re: 2017-01-23 phone call notes

vincent.adrien@gmail.com
Hi Tom,

Just to say that this kind of short summaries of what have been
discussed during the phone calls are appreciated (at least by myself,
but I am confident I am not the only one).

Regards

Adrien

Le 23/01/2017 à 23:43, Thomas Caswell a écrit :

> Folks,
>
> Today we had my self, nellev and efiring.
>
>  - Discussed that we have had surprisingly few 2.0 related bug reports,
> unclear if we have not had uptake yet or if we really didn't break all
> that much
>
>  - Discussed existing branches on upstream, tried to see if we could
> restrict permissions to create new branches on upstream, seems like not
> (coupled to write permissions).  Please be careful to not push new
> branches to upstream!
>
>  - CI is taking too long, how to speed up:
>    - drop builds on PRs (and only do on master), candidates are dropping
> 3.4 or 3.5
>    - reduce appveyor matrix on PRs
>    - (not discussed on call) raise ~500$USD / yr to get 2 appveyor builds.
>    - make the doc build faster (can we cache anything?)
>    - auto-canceling super-ceded PR builds is in beta on travis. Just
> being patient might work here.
>
>  - BIDS is working on a distributed 'doc-a-thon', (Nelle will follow up
> with details if mpl wants to participate).
>    - discussed difficulty of reviewing doc changes (are they correct? is
> english correct? is it formatted properly?)
>
>  - discussed possibility of a in-person sprint (again Nelle will follow up)
>
> Please correct me if I missed anything, wrote this from memory after the
> fact.
>
> Tom
>
> PS Sorry for stealing some of your thunder Nelle :(

Re: 2017-01-23 phone call notes

Antony Lee
I agree with Adrien regarding the helpfulness of these summaries.

Regarding CI, perhaps someone (cough BIDS cough) could write something to skip builds when a patch only changes nonpython files or docstrings?  (Especially if you compare both with the target branch and with the previous built version of the PR, we should catch skip quite a few "small add documentation" patches.)

Antony