[Matplotlib-devel] 03/27/2017 phone call notes

[Matplotlib-devel] 03/27/2017 phone call notes

anntzer.lee
Hi all,

On the call were efiring and myself.

- efiring opened #8381 to fix various problems with minor ticks.  We agreed that the separation between major and minor tickers is problematic because the minor ticker needs to "guess" where the major ticks are going to be in order to decide where the minor ticks are (and, note that the major ticker may well be a user-defined class with arbitrary behavior); thus, a new architecture where a single ticker handles both major and minor ticks may be more sensible.  If we go that route, it may be worth also looking at a redesign of the Formatter class (#5804), so that we expose everything that's needed by the formatters too.

- We discussed a potential new mechanism for fixing the artist order in legend, see https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/issues/8389

- We discussed fixing the semantics of columns vs rows in boxplot/hist, see https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/issues/8092#issuecomment-289566032.

Antony