Quantcast

How is GUI startup implemented?

Jean CRUYPENYNCK
Hi all!

I’m currently writing some Python/C++ library using Boost.Python on macOS. When I import it, I get the “famous rocket icon“ bouncing in the macOS Dock and I can’t understand why. I know that this icon appears on macOS when Python detects that a program will interact with the GUI.
It’s something that happens with matplotlib as well, when running from matplotlib import pyplot with the default backend.
I’m wondering how this behavior is implemented, i.e. where in the source code does matplotlib call the GUI process when I execute the from matplotlib import pyplot statement? I believe that could help me solving my problem with Boost.Python.

Thank you in advance for your answer,
Jean.