GEOS installation for Basemap package

Ahlam Al Qasim
To whom it may concern,

I hope this email finds you well. I am trying to get the Basemap package on my mac, and have been following the instructions based on this webpage:  https://matplotlib.org/basemap/users/installing.html. I don't have GEOS already installed so I tried following steps on the website to download it with Basemap:

cd geos-3.3.3
export GEOS_DIR=<where you want the libs and headers to go>
# A reasonable choice on a Unix-like system is /usr/local, or
# if you don't have permission to write there, your home directory.
./configure --prefix=$GEOS_DIR
make; make install

However, I am getting errors at the third step (make; make install). Attached is a copy of what I get on my python console, if it helps. I think the error occurs when trying to create the /include directory, but I'm not sure how to fix it. I'm still new to python so any help would be much appreciated!

Best regards,
Ahlam Al Qasim

python console.rtf (9K) Download Attachment

Re: GEOS installation for Basemap package

Paul Hobson-2
Ahlam,

I'm by no means an expert on compiling this libraries on any OS. If you don't need the absolutely bleeding-edge versions, I would use conda to install them.

For instance
conda install geopandas --channel=conda-forge

automatically grabs and installs a pre-compiled GEOS binary to support the geopandas library

On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 11:30 PM, Ahlam Al Qasim <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Julian Gethmann
Hallo,

You are not allowed to create the directory /include as a normal user,
because it is under / which is owned by root. If you really want to
install it to this location you need to become super user first.
So the last `make install` should be an `sudo make install`.

But I would also stick to Paul Hobson's solution of using conda [1] or
in your case homebrew [2].

[1] https://www.continuum.io/downloads
[2] https://brew.sh/

Best regards,