Editable text from matplotlib?

Moore, Eric (NIH/NIDDK) [F]
Hi,

Is it ever possible to edit the text produced by matplotlib when saving to ps, eps or pdf?  No matter the combination of setting I try the text always imports as outlines rather than text.

If it makes a difference, I'm using CorelDraw.  Does this work for anyone?

Re: Editable text from matplotlib?

Joy merwin monteiro
I have had an illustrator work with my eps plots generated in MPL, and she
used to get text. She was using some Adobe software, IIRC.

Joy

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 2:30 AM, Moore, Eric (NIH/NIDDK) [F] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Is it ever possible to edit the text produced by matplotlib when saving to ps, eps or pdf?  No matter the combination of setting I try the text always imports as outlines rather than text.

If it makes a difference, I'm using CorelDraw.  Does this work for anyone?

The best ruler, when he finishes his
tasks and completes his affairs,
the people say
“It all happened naturally”

                                         - Te Tao Ch'ing

Re: Editable text from matplotlib?

Jeffrey Blackburne-3
On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 2:30 AM, Moore, Eric (NIH/NIDDK) [F] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it ever possible to edit the text produced by matplotlib when saving to ps, eps or pdf?  No matter the combination of setting I try the text always imports as outlines rather than text.
>
> If it makes a difference, I'm using CorelDraw.  Does this work for anyone?
>
> Eric

Hi Eric,

Have you tried setting text.usetex to True in your matplotlibrc? That might help. For Postscript files, you may also have to use Poppler or Xpdf as your distiller.

See http://matplotlib.org/users/usetex.html for more details.

Hope that helps,
Jeff

Re: Editable text from matplotlib?

Benjamin Root-2
One thing I remember from back in the day was that the text used to be supplied as a group of glyphs, so text extraction and modification was really easy (I was able to do some simple tweeks from the command-line). But then a few years ago, to address some problem (I can't remember what), it was decided that the glyphs would be individually placed, making it hard to extract out groups of text.

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 1:29 AM, Jeff Blackburne <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 2:30 AM, Moore, Eric (NIH/NIDDK) [F] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it ever possible to edit the text produced by matplotlib when saving to ps, eps or pdf?  No matter the combination of setting I try the text always imports as outlines rather than text.
>
> If it makes a difference, I'm using CorelDraw.  Does this work for anyone?
>
> Eric

Hi Eric,

Have you tried setting text.usetex to True in your matplotlibrc? That might help. For Postscript files, you may also have to use Poppler or Xpdf as your distiller.

See http://matplotlib.org/users/usetex.html for more details.

Hope that helps,
Jeff

Re: Editable text from matplotlib?

oren
To change teh text form path to text use this line:
matplotlib.rcParams['pdf.fonttype'] = 42

Read more here:
http://physicalmodelingwithpython.blogspot.com/2015/06/making-plots-for-publication.html

--
Sent from: http://matplotlib.1069221.n5.nabble.com/matplotlib-users-f3.html