Color Cycle Survey

Matthew Petroff
Dear all,

For the past year or so, I've been working on techniques for generating visually pleasing colorblind-friendly color cycles, since I find the current default difficult to interpret (see [1] for details). The colorblind-friendly aspect can be solved through technical means, by enforcing minimum perceptual distances in combination with color vision deficiency simulations, but the aesthetic preference aspect is subjective and requires a different approach. To this end, I've created a survey for collecting the data necessary for creating a model of general aesthetic preference for color cycles:

As the usefulness of this approach hinges on collecting enough data [2], I'd appreciate folks taking the survey. Feedback on the survey or the general approach taken would also be appreciated (there's an issue tracker [3]). Thanks.

-Matthew Petroff

[2] What constitutes "enough" is unfortunately difficult to define a priori.

jni

Re: Color Cycle Survey

jni
Thanks for this work, Matthew! I'm excited about this. For what it's worth, though (probably not much), in the 11 tries I had, I don't think I liked any of the cycles as much as the one in this comment [1], which I think is close to perfect:

But I am not colorblind nor have I worked in this space so I defer to the data. =)

Thanks again,

Juan.

On Sun, Dec 16, 2018, at 8:51 AM, Matthew Petroff wrote:
[...]

I spent something like two minutes creating that color cycle for the sole purpose of creating the screenshot and don't consider myself much of a designer, so I'm glad you like it.

The color vision deficiency simulation strength used for that cycle (50%) was less than what was used to generate the sets used in the survey (100%), so that may be a contributing factor (a minimum perceptual distance of 18 was used for both). However, I think it's mostly just that of all the possible color cycles, many more look bad than good. If all goes well, the survey data can be used to create a model of what looks good, although it's still an experiment, so there are no guarantees.

-Matthew Petroff