Quantcast

CMYK images

Michele De Stefano
Is it possible to export EPS images with the CMYK color scheme ?

There are several technical journals that require this format (for
example Geophysiscs, one of the most important geophysical journals,
The Leading Edge, and, I think, Geophysical Prospecting only to cite
some of them).

--
Michele De Stefano
http://www.linkedin.com/in/micdestefano

Re: CMYK images

Michael Droettboom-3
matplotlib does not have any built-in support for any color spaces other
than RGB.  You would need to use an external tool (if such a thing
exists) to convert color spaces.

Mike

--
Michael Droettboom
Science Software Branch

Re: CMYK images

Daπid
Image Magick and Inkscape seem to work for this. Probably the first
one is easier to automatize in batch processing.

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 4:21 PM, Michael Droettboom <[hidden email]> wrote:

> matplotlib does not have any built-in support for any color spaces other
> than RGB.  You would need to use an external tool (if such a thing
> exists) to convert color spaces.
>
> Mike
>
> On 08/26/2010 10:06 AM, Michele De Stefano wrote:
>> Is it possible to export EPS images with the CMYK color scheme ?
>>
>> There are several technical journals that require this format (for
>> example Geophysiscs, one of the most important geophysical journals,
>> The Leading Edge, and, I think, Geophysical Prospecting only to cite
>> some of them).
>>

> --
> Michael Droettboom
> Science Software Branch
> Space Telescope Science Institute
> Baltimore, Maryland, USA

Re: CMYK images

Michele De Stefano
Thanks.

I think it will be useful to have "cookbook instructions" to perform
this task on the Matplotlib web site.

Meanwhile, is there anyone that can provide those instructions, please
(I've not any of these tools installed yet, and I don't know them). ?

2010/8/26 Daπid <[hidden email]>:

> Image Magick and Inkscape seem to work for this. Probably the first
> one is easier to automatize in batch processing.
>
> On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 4:21 PM, Michael Droettboom <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> matplotlib does not have any built-in support for any color spaces other
>> than RGB.  You would need to use an external tool (if such a thing
>> exists) to convert color spaces.
>>
>> Mike
>>
>> On 08/26/2010 10:06 AM, Michele De Stefano wrote:
>>> Is it possible to export EPS images with the CMYK color scheme ?
>>>
>>> There are several technical journals that require this format (for
>>> example Geophysiscs, one of the most important geophysical journals,
>>> The Leading Edge, and, I think, Geophysical Prospecting only to cite
>>> some of them).
>>>

>> --
>> Michael Droettboom
>> Science Software Branch
>> Space Telescope Science Institute
>> Baltimore, Maryland, USA

Michele De Stefano
http://www.linkedin.com/in/micdestefano
http://code.google.com/p/mds-utils
http://micheledestefano.xoom.it

Re: CMYK images

Benjamin Root-2
On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 9:39 AM, Daπid <[hidden email]> wrote:
Image Magick and Inkscape seem to work for this. Probably the first
one is easier to automatize in batch processing.

Quick warning about ImageMagick and EPS files (and any other vector-based graphics format)...

ImageMagick is a raster-based system.  When it loads a vector-based graphic, it implicitly rasterizes it, performs the requested operations, and then outputs the file format.  So, even if you output the result as a EPS file, you would have lost all vector-based info (like text and lines).  The result looks horrible.

I have been contemplating adding some sort of functionality like this for the various formats.  I recently ran into issues like this for an IEEE publication and had to resort to obtaining a copy of Adobe Acrobat Pro to fix up my images.  It would be nice if I could pass an option to .savefig() like 'use_cmyk=True' or something and be done with it.

Re: CMYK images

Jonathan Slavin
This is starting to get off topic from matplotlib, but it is relevant to
creating good EPS figures...

When using ImageMagick to transform from to an EPS, your results will be
much improved by using the parameter "-density 288".  This increases the
resolution (and thus results in a much bigger file).  I find this is
adequate for producing publication quality plots.

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 11:27 AM, Jonathan Slavin <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is starting to get off topic from matplotlib, but it is relevant to
creating good EPS figures...

When using ImageMagick to transform from to an EPS, your results will be
much improved by using the parameter "-density 288".  This increases the
resolution (and thus results in a much bigger file).  I find this is
adequate for producing publication quality plots.

This is getting off-topic, but this is also something that I feel quite strongly about.  There is no point in submitting an EPS file that comes from ImageMagick for publication.  Because of the rasterization, you might as well send them a PNG file.

There are a few reasons why publishers request vector-based graphics formats.  First, they can change the font properties and the text of the figure as needed.  If the image has been rasterized, they then have to edit out the rasterized text and put in their own text.  Second, there are various anti-aliasing techniques that can be utilized for text and lines as one scales the image for different publishing mediums.  If you take your high resolution rasterized eps file and try viewing the text when the figure is scaled to a small size, and then try the same for an unrasterized eps file, so long as your viewer is decent, the unrasterized image will remain readable at smaller sizes than the high-resolution rasterized version.

Don't rasterize your vector images... your publications will thank you for that!

/rant

On a related note, you *should* rasterize your pcolor() and imshow() using "rasterize=True" in those function calls.  This will allow the image to be rasterized to its native resolution, while still letting everything else in the figure remain vector-based.  This results in beautiful plots with sane file sizes.

Re: CMYK images

On 08/26/2010 05:49 AM, Benjamin Root wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 9:39 AM, Daπid <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Image Magick and Inkscape seem to work for this. Probably the first
>     one is easier to automatize in batch processing.
>

> Quick warning about ImageMagick and EPS files (and any other
> vector-based graphics format)...
>
> ImageMagick is a raster-based system.  When it loads a vector-based
> graphic, it implicitly rasterizes it, performs the requested operations,
> and then outputs the file format.  So, even if you output the result as
> a EPS file, you would have lost all vector-based info (like text and
> lines).  The result looks horrible.
>
> I have been contemplating adding some sort of functionality like this
> for the various formats.  I recently ran into issues like this for an
> IEEE publication and had to resort to obtaining a copy of Adobe Acrobat
> Pro to fix up my images.  It would be nice if I could pass an option to
> .savefig() like 'use_cmyk=True' or something and be done with it.

It's not trivial.  This might help:

http://www.littlecms.com/

See the tutorial for some nice background info.

Eric

> Ben Root

> Be part of this innovative community and reach millions of netbook users
> worldwide. Take advantage of special opportunities to increase revenue and
> speed time-to-market. Join now, and jumpstart your future.
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-atom-d2d

Re: CMYK images

Fernando Perez
On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 11:39 AM, Eric Firing <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It's not trivial.  This might help:
>
> http://www.littlecms.com/
>
> See the tutorial for some nice background info.

And this could be a good start for a python-based workflow:

http://www.cazabon.com/pyCMS/

*if* it works (it looks old, so it may have bit-rotted in the meantime).

Another option would be to ctypes-wrap the calls of littleCMS one
needs just for this and be done with it.  Not very elegant, but it
might get the OP out of a bind with minimal work, and he'd have a
little eps2cmyk.py script he could run on his MPL-generated EPS files
for colorspace conversion.  Just an afternoon hack.  :)

Re: CMYK images

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal
Fernando Perez wrote:
>> http://www.littlecms.com/

PIL optionally uses littlecms -- so it may have what you need built in.

-Chris

NOTE: I haven't read the rest of this thread, to sorry if this is
redundant information.

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
NOAA/NOS/OR&R            (206) 526-6959   voice
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax
Seattle, WA  98115       (206) 526-6317   main reception

Re: CMYK images

Robert Kern-2
On 8/26/10 3:26 PM, Fernando Perez wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 11:39 AM, Eric Firing<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> It's not trivial.  This might help:
>>
>> http://www.littlecms.com/
>>
>> See the tutorial for some nice background info.
>
> And this could be a good start for a python-based workflow:
>
> http://www.cazabon.com/pyCMS/
>
> *if* it works (it looks old, so it may have bit-rotted in the meantime).
>
> Another option would be to ctypes-wrap the calls of littleCMS one
> needs just for this and be done with it.  Not very elegant, but it
> might get the OP out of a bind with minimal work, and he'd have a
> little eps2cmyk.py script he could run on his MPL-generated EPS files
> for colorspace conversion.  Just an afternoon hack.  :)

You can also use my numpy-aware wrappers:

   http://www.enthought.com/~rkern/cgi-bin/hgwebdir.cgi/lcms/

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco

Re: CMYK images

Jae-Joon Lee
While not a full solution, I have been playing with a ps backend that
saves images (and only images) in CMYK color.
lcms is required for color transform.

http://github.com/leejjoon/mpl_ps_cmyk

For example,

import mpl_toolkits.ps_cmyk
plt.savefig("test_cmyk.eps", format="eps_cmyk")

Regards,

-JJ

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 6:12 AM, Robert Kern <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 8/26/10 3:26 PM, Fernando Perez wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 11:39 AM, Eric Firing<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> It's not trivial.  This might help:
>>>
>>> http://www.littlecms.com/
>>>
>>> See the tutorial for some nice background info.
>>
>> And this could be a good start for a python-based workflow:
>>
>> http://www.cazabon.com/pyCMS/
>>
>> *if* it works (it looks old, so it may have bit-rotted in the meantime).
>>
>> Another option would be to ctypes-wrap the calls of littleCMS one
>> needs just for this and be done with it.  Not very elegant, but it
>> might get the OP out of a bind with minimal work, and he'd have a
>> little eps2cmyk.py script he could run on his MPL-generated EPS files
>> for colorspace conversion.  Just an afternoon hack.  :)
>
> You can also use my numpy-aware wrappers:
>
>   http://www.enthought.com/~rkern/cgi-bin/hgwebdir.cgi/lcms/
>
> --
> Robert Kern

>  that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had
>  an underlying truth."
>   -- Umberto Eco

Re: CMYK images

Michele De Stefano
Thanks a lot to all of you.

First of all, I have to say that I agree with Benjamin Root.

I'll try the tools some of you suggested (no problem in installing and
trying, as soon as I can ... but it's good to know that there is a way
to generate CMYK images using Python ... as I told it will be useful
to have these suggestions recorded on the Matplotlib web site).

If amongst the readers of this mailing list there are also some
Matplotlib developers, I'd like to say them that to have the CMYK
option incorporated into Matplotlib (for example like it is
incorporated into the MATLAB print command) will be a great
improvement.

I started using Python only because I wanted to stop using MATLAB.
I've found Python a lot more powerful than MATLAB on nearly all
aspects.

When someone like me has to make some publications and does not have a
lot of time to try tools, he will be discouraged in using Matplotlib
(and Python) and he will return to MATLAB again (and this is what
happened to me until now).

So, developers, please seriously consider adding this option to Matplotlib.

The first sentence of the web site is "matplotlib is a python 2D
plotting library which produces publication quality figures". This is
true (I think they're better than Matlab figures) ... I only hope it
will be more easy in the future also to actually use those figures in
publications.

Thanks to all of you.

Kind regards,
Michele