Animation examples

edgar
Hello,

I would like to contribute with the following examples for animations.
Compared to some that I have found, they work with both dialogs and
saving a file (without phantom artists). They do not redraw the whole
canvas, but they do remove and recreate the original artist. I tested
this on Parabola GNU/Linux 4.19.75-gnu-1-lts, Matplotlib 3.1.1, Python
3.7.4, qt5ct (Qt version 5.13.1). I don't know if a license is required,
but just it case, take GPL version 3.

time_series_anim.py (3K) Download Attachment
imshow_anim.py (2K) Download Attachment

Re: Animation examples

Paul Hobson-2
Edgar,

Thanks for sending these along. Matplotlib falls under a BSD license, so we'd need you to accept that before we could include them in the code base.

The best way to get these into the code base is by submitting a PR on Github. We have a guide to contributing to matplotlib's development and documentation here:

Cheers,
-Paul

On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 1:00 AM <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I would like to contribute with the following examples for animations.
Compared to some that I have found, they work with both dialogs and
saving a file (without phantom artists). They do not redraw the whole
canvas, but they do remove and recreate the original artist. I tested
this on Parabola GNU/Linux 4.19.75-gnu-1-lts, Matplotlib 3.1.1, Python
3.7.4, qt5ct (Qt version 5.13.1). I don't know if a license is required,
but just it case, take GPL version 3.

Re: Animation examples

Paul Hobson-2
Thanks, Edgar. Hopefully you find someone who will write the PR for you.

The matplotlib development team is well aware of the differences between permissive licenses and copy-left licenses.

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 2:14 AM <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Paul,

Thank you for your answer. I changed the license to BSD. I
don’t have a Github account, because I don’t want anything
to do with Micro$oft, G◉◉gle, etc. I leave this for the
uninformed:

       “The two major categories of free software license are
       copyleft and non-copyleft. Copyleft licenses such as
       the GNU GPL insist that modified versions of the
       program must be free software as well. Non-copyleft
       licenses do not insist on this. We recommend copyleft,
       because it protects freedom for all users, but
       non-copylefted software can still be free software,
       and useful to the free software
       community.”–[https://www.gnu.org/licenses/bsd.html]

       “…using a different license for your modifications
       often makes that cooperation very difficult. You
       should only do that when there is a strong reason to
       justify it.

       One case where using a different license can be
       justified is when you make major changes to a work
       under a non-copyleft

license.“–[https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-recommendations.html]

On 2019-10-16 22:46, Paul Hobson wrote:
> Edgar,
>
> Thanks for sending these along. Matplotlib falls under a BSD license,
> so
> we'd need you to accept that before we could include them in the code
> base.
>
> The best way to get these into the code base is by submitting a PR on
> Github. We have a guide to contributing to matplotlib's development and
> documentation here:
> https://matplotlib.org/devdocs/devel/contributing.html
>
> Cheers,
> -Paul
>
> On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 1:00 AM <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like to contribute with the following examples for animations.
>> Compared to some that I have found, they work with both dialogs and
>> saving a file (without phantom artists).
>> but just it case, take GPL version 3.

Re: Animation examples

Hannah
Hi Edgar,
Would you be opposed to sharing these on our discourse? We've got a forum for showcase examples: https://discourse.matplotlib.org/c/showcase

Also, could we share these on social media? Particularly the Matplotlib Instagram account? https://www.instagram.com/matplotart/

Thanks,
Hannah

On 2019-10-16 22:46, Paul Hobson wrote:
> Edgar,
>
> Thanks for sending these along. Matplotlib falls under a BSD license,
> so
> we'd need you to accept that before we could include them in the code
> base.
>
> The best way to get these into the code base is by submitting a PR on
> Github. We have a guide to contributing to matplotlib's development and
> documentation here:
> https://matplotlib.org/devdocs/devel/contributing.html
>
> Cheers,
> -Paul
>
> On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 1:00 AM <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like to contribute with the following examples for animations.
>> Compared to some that I have found, they work with both dialogs and
>> saving a file (without phantom artists).
>> but just it case, take GPL version 3.

Ryan May

Re: Animation examples

Juan Nunez-Iglesias
On Thu, 17 Oct 2019, at 9:22 PM, Ryan May wrote:
From the late John Hunter, creator of matplotlib:

FWIW, and speaking as a longstanding advocate of BSD, I think that the second part of this sentence:

> In my experience, the benefits of collaborating with the private sector are real, whereas the fear that some private company will “steal” your product and sell it in a proprietary application leaving you with nothing is not.

has changed in recent years. Python is massive and in my field, for example, microscope manufacturers are bundling the Scientific Python ecosystem in their proprietary software that is then sold on for tens of thousands of dollars — per year, because subscription software is the thing now.

imho, *at a minimum*, direct modifications to the software should always be contributed back. John Kirkham recently pointed me to the Mozilla Public License (MPL) that makes that requirement, while still allowing proprietary code to be distributed together with the open source component. I need to stew on this more, but I might start advocating for that instead.

Juan.

Re: Animation examples

edgar
On 2019-10-18 02:22, Ryan May wrote:
> From the late John Hunter, creator of matplotlib:
>
> http://nipy.org/nipy/faq/johns_bsd_pitch.html
>
> Ryan

 From Saint IGNUcious:
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html

> On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 10:27 AM Paul Hobson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Edgar. Hopefully you find someone who will write the PR for
>> you.
>>
>> The matplotlib development team is well aware of the differences
>> between
>> permissive licenses and copy-left licenses.

Thanks, Paul. I assumed that. The quotes were meant for "the uninformed"
:P . Thank you for Matplotlib in the name of countless students,
reseearchers and many others.

Re: Animation examples

edgar
On 2019-10-18 14:06, Hannah wrote:

> Hi,
> I honestly don't know and I think this question needs to be posted to
> the
> mailing list at large.
> Thanks,
> Hannah
>
> On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 3:32 AM <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> What would you say about changing the policies from:
>>
>>        We do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer
>>        to outside parties your personally
>>        identifiable information. This does not
>>        include trusted third parties who assist us
>>        in operating our site, conducting our
>>        business, or servicing you, so long as those
>>        parties agree to keep this information
>>        confidential. We may also release your
>>        information when we believe release is
>>        appropriate to comply with the law, enforce
>>        our site policies, or protect ours or others
>>        rights, property, or safety. However,
>>        non-personally identifiable visitor
>>        information may be provided to other parties
>>        for marketing, advertising, or other uses.
>>
>> to something like this?:
>>
>>        We do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer
>>        to outside parties your personally
>>        identifiable information. We may release
>>        your information when we believe release is
>>        appropriate to comply with the law, enforce
>>        our site policies, or protect ours or others
>>        rights, property, or safety.
>>
>> Let me know. Thanks.
>>

>> On 2019-10-18 07:06, Hannah wrote:
>> > Openly encouraging it as the Matplotlib team is trying to build it up
>> > as a
>> > community platform. It supports just about every type of registration
>> > and
>> > oauth, and we self host it on digital ocean.

Re: Animation examples

tcaswell
Edgar,

I am glad you carefully read the ToC, however I am unwilling to consider changing them without having a lawyer review the changes.

Tom