AW: AW: Line2D and wx Backend

Bugzilla from bschindler@student.ethz.ch
I was simply trying out the hint you gave me. I didn't expect it to solve my
problem, but I tried anyway.
I found it to be the easiest thing I can do just to send it my code. It's
not _that_ complex, though you need twisted installed (I don't know whether
it'll work with 1.3 - I'm working with 2.0) and you'll need wxpython 2.6
(I'm using features only present in 2.6)
My Attachement is a zip-file. I figured that the outgoing mailserver blocks
mail witz zip attachements :-/. First start server.py (in root-dir) - it
will generate the data, then start the client. In the sidebar (once the
client connected to the server) you can select/deselect sources. My idea is,
that data collection just goes on, and If I select a source, It displays me
all the data currently collected.
The code that has to do with the matplotlib stuff is located in
plugins/wx/monitor.py. Receive(self, data, source) is the retreival function
and EnableSource is supposed to enable drawing of a particular data-source.

Sorry for not doing a very simple testcase - but I think the code in
monitor.py is simple enough

AW: AW: Line2D and wx Backend

Bugzilla from bschindler@student.ethz.ch
I have been able to trace down my problem a little - but it's not solved
yet.
I've added a self.axes.plot([0,1],[0,1]) when I'm adding a line to
self.axes. The first time I'm adding a line, I just see the 0,1 line. The
second time, I see the lines I want to see. However, the grid doesn't scale
(so the lines keep updating in an area that's not visible anymore.
Any ideas?

On Aug 25, 2005, at 10:02 AM, Schindler Benjamin wrote:
> Since I have to leave from here I cannot yet produce a sample app that
> would show this behaviour.

It doesn't have to be anything complex, just the bare functionality of
whatever you're working on.  I'll be happy to take a look at it
tomorrow.

> However, I tried to have a non-empty list at the beginning. I replaced
> Line2D([],[]) with Line2D([1,2],[1,2]) just for the sake of trying -
> with no luck apparently.

I'm sorry if I gave you the impression that that was the problem...
it's a potential problem, but I didn't mean to suggest that it's why
your plot isn't being draw.

Ken

Re: AW: AW: Line2D and wx Backend

Werner F. Bruhin
Hi,

Could you provide a sample showing the problem which is not depended on
  twisted?

See you
Werner

Benjamin Schindler wrote:

> I have been able to trace down my problem a little - but it's not solved
> yet.
> I've added a self.axes.plot([0,1],[0,1]) when I'm adding a line to
> self.axes. The first time I'm adding a line, I just see the 0,1 line. The
> second time, I see the lines I want to see. However, the grid doesn't scale
> (so the lines keep updating in an area that's not visible anymore.
> Any ideas?

Re: Line2D and wx Backend

Bugzilla from bschindler@student.ethz.ch
Hi

Sortof, but not really. I've just discovered something reeeally interesting.

I've produced a sample app that exhibits this behaviour. However, monitor.py
(in plugins/wx) still depends on twisted.spread.pb. If I comment out that
import, it all runs fine. (you can add data with the a button and the slider
in the left pane)
It's hard for me guess who is causing the troubles - whether it's matplotlib
not beeing able to handle the twisted threading or twisted breaking
matplotlib - I don't know

Benjamin Schindler wrote:
> I have been able to trace down my problem a little - but it's not solved
> yet.
> I've added a self.axes.plot([0,1],[0,1]) when I'm adding a line to
> self.axes. The first time I'm adding a line, I just see the 0,1 line. The
> second time, I see the lines I want to see. However, the grid doesn't
scale

> (so the lines keep updating in an area that's not visible anymore.
> Any ideas?

Practices

mat_test.zip.rename (56K) Download Attachment

AW: Re: AW: AW: Line2D and wx Backend

Bugzilla from bschindler@student.ethz.ch
Oh- I forgot

You don't need to execute the server - just launch client.py (I haven't
stripped everything off)

Benjamin Schindler wrote:
> I have been able to trace down my problem a little - but it's not solved
> yet.
> I've added a self.axes.plot([0,1],[0,1]) when I'm adding a line to
> self.axes. The first time I'm adding a line, I just see the 0,1 line. The
> second time, I see the lines I want to see. However, the grid doesn't
scale

> (so the lines keep updating in an area that's not visible anymore.
> Any ideas?

Practices

Re: AW: Re: AW: AW: Line2D and wx Backend

Werner F. Bruhin
Hi Benjamin,

Sorry but your code is still dependent on twisted:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "client.py", line 2, in ?
    from modules import mainwindow
  File "C:\Dev\BoaTest04\Benjamin\mat_test\modules\mainwindow.py", line
2, in ?
    from twisted.internet import wxreactor
ImportError: No module named twisted.internet

I don't have the time/nor interest (at least not at the moment) to get
twisted installed on my machine.

You should try to isolate your problem and part of that is probably to
get your matplotlib stuff NOT be dependent on a twisted feed, get the
data from a file or even just hard code it.

Tschüss und vieli grüss us em Süd Frankreich
Werner

Benjamin Schindler wrote:

>Oh- I forgot
>
>You don't need to execute the server - just launch client.py (I haven't
>stripped everything off)

Re: Re: Line2D and wx Backend

John Hunter-8

    Benjamin> Hi Sortof, but not really. I've just discovered
    Benjamin> something reeeally interesting.

    Benjamin> I've produced a sample app that exhibits this
    Benjamin> behaviour. However, monitor.py (in plugins/wx) still
    Benjamin> depends on twisted.spread.pb. If I comment out that
    Benjamin> import, it all runs fine. (you can add data with the a
    Benjamin> button and the slider in the left pane) It's hard for me
    Benjamin> guess who is causing the troubles - whether it's
    Benjamin> matplotlib not beeing able to handle the twisted
    Benjamin> threading or twisted breaking matplotlib - I don't know

Yep, this looks like a threading problem.  Could be a tough nut to
crack.  Sorry, but I don't have any concrete suggestions for you.
Perhaps someone on the wx list would have some idea how to make wx
events play nicely with twisted threads.

JDH

AW: Re: Line2D and wx Backend

Bugzilla from bschindler@student.ethz.ch
I have sortof solved my problem. The main problem was, that autoscrolling
doesn't seem to work the way it should - now paired with a little bug that
got hidden made these problems for me. Since I have to control my y and x
axis closely anyway, There is no real problem anymore.
Thanks for all the help.