ANN: matplotlib 1.3.0 released

Michael Droettboom-3

On behalf of a veritable army of super coders, I'm pleased to announce the release of matplotlib 1.3.0.

Downloads

Downloads are available here:

http://matplotlib.org/downloads.html

as well as through pip. Check with your distro for when matplotlib 1.3.0 will become packaged for your environment.

(Note: Mac .dmg installers are still forthcoming due to some issues with the new installation approach.)

Important known issues

matplotlib no longer ships with its Python dependencies, including dateutil, pytz, pyparsing and six. When installing from source or pip, pip will install these for you automatically. When installing from packages (on Linux distributions, MacPorts, homebrew etc.) these dependencies should also be handled automatically. The Windows binary installers do not include or install these dependencies.

You may need to remove any old matplotlib installations before installing 1.3.0 to ensure matplotlib has access to the latest versions of these dependencies.

The following backends have been removed: QtAgg (Qt version 3.x only), FlktAgg and Emf.

For a complete list of removed features, see http://matplotlib.org/api/api_changes.html#changes-in-1-3

What's new

  • xkcd-style sketch plotting
  • webagg backend for displaying and interacting with plots in a web browser
  • event plots
  • triangular grid interpolation
  • control of baselines in stackplot
  • many improvements to text and color handling

For a complete list of what's new, see

http://matplotlib.org/users/whats_new.html#new-in-matplotlib-1-3

Have fun, and enjoy matplotlib!

Michael Droettboom

Re: ANN: matplotlib 1.3.0 released

K.-Michael Aye

Very nice, congrats!

I was looking for some example to setup webagg but can't seem to find any? Is there anything written down about it?

Cheers,

Michael

Re: ANN: matplotlib 1.3.0 released

Michael Droettboom-3
Choose it as a backend.  See here:

http://matplotlib.org/faq/usage_faq.html#what-is-a-backend

Then when you call "plt.show()", it will fire up the webserver and launch a browser window.

Mike

On 08/01/2013 03:03 PM, K.-Michael Aye wrote:

Very nice, congrats!

I was looking for some example to setup webagg but can't seem to find any? Is there anything written down about it?

Cheers,

Michael

Re: ANN: matplotlib 1.3.0 released

Andrew H. Jaffe

On 01/08/2013 19:06, Michael Droettboom wrote:
> On behalf of a veritable army of super coders, I'm pleased to announce
> the release of matplotlib 1.3.0.

Two issues on OSX 10.8.4. I had been previously using the dmg installer.
Lacking that, I tried easy-install and pip install, both of which gave
me the following problems:

  - I needed to set CC=clang
  - When attempting to load matplotlib, I got the following error:

/Volumes/Data/Users/jaffe/Library/Python/2.7/lib/python/site-packages/matplotlib/font_manager.py
in <module>()
      51 import matplotlib
      52 from matplotlib import afm
---> 53 from matplotlib import ft2font
      54 from matplotlib import rcParams, get_cachedir
      55 from matplotlib.cbook import is_string_like

ImportError:
dlopen(/Volumes/Data/Users/jaffe/Library/Python/2.7/lib/python/site-packages/matplotlib/ft2font.so,
2): Symbol not found: _FT_Attach_File
   Referenced from:
/Volumes/Data/Users/jaffe/Library/Python/2.7/lib/python/site-packages/matplotlib/ft2font.so
   Expected in: flat namespace
  in
/Volumes/Data/Users/jaffe/Library/Python/2.7/lib/python/site-packages/matplotlib/ft2font.so

This is a freetype problem, probably an incompatible version somewhere.
Ideas?

Andrew

Re: ANN: matplotlib 1.3.0 released

Michael Droettboom-3
Can you provide the output of the build?

On 08/02/2013 06:53 AM, Andrew Jaffe wrote:

> Hi,
>

> On 01/08/2013 19:06, Michael Droettboom wrote:
>> On behalf of a veritable army of super coders, I'm pleased to announce
>> the release of matplotlib 1.3.0.
> Two issues on OSX 10.8.4. I had been previously using the dmg installer.
> Lacking that, I tried easy-install and pip install, both of which gave
> me the following problems:
>
>    - I needed to set CC=clang
>    - When attempting to load matplotlib, I got the following error:
>
> /Volumes/Data/Users/jaffe/Library/Python/2.7/lib/python/site-packages/matplotlib/font_manager.py
> in <module>()
>        51 import matplotlib
>        52 from matplotlib import afm
> ---> 53 from matplotlib import ft2font
>        54 from matplotlib import rcParams, get_cachedir
>        55 from matplotlib.cbook import is_string_like
>
> ImportError:
> dlopen(/Volumes/Data/Users/jaffe/Library/Python/2.7/lib/python/site-packages/matplotlib/ft2font.so,
> 2): Symbol not found: _FT_Attach_File
>     Referenced from:
> /Volumes/Data/Users/jaffe/Library/Python/2.7/lib/python/site-packages/matplotlib/ft2font.so
>     Expected in: flat namespace
>    in
> /Volumes/Data/Users/jaffe/Library/Python/2.7/lib/python/site-packages/matplotlib/ft2font.so
>

> This is a freetype problem, probably an incompatible version somewhere.
> Ideas?
>
> Andrew

Re: ANN: matplotlib 1.3.0 released

Rita-24
Same problem in Linux also. Here is what I did to fix it: Remove the freetype/fontconfig rpm from my local install (yum remove) and then place the proper PKG_CONFIG_PATH to point to my remote freetype/fontconfig. The problem is there is a bug with setupext.py. We ought to prepend PKG_CONFIG_PATH in the gcc compile statement.  I hope this helps.

Hi,

On 08/03/2013 07:50 AM, Rita wrote:
Same problem in Linux also. Here is what I did to fix it: Remove the freetype/fontconfig rpm from my local install (yum remove) and then place the proper PKG_CONFIG_PATH to point to my remote freetype/fontconfig.

By remote, you mean self-built, rather than from a package?

The problem is there is a bug with setupext.py. We ought to prepend PKG_CONFIG_PATH in the gcc compile statement.  I hope this helps.

Can you elaborate?  The setupext.py just calls whatever pkg-config is first on the PATH, which should then in turn obey PKG_CONFIG_PATH.  If the user needs a custom PKG_CONFIG_PATH, it is generally the resposibility of the user to set it correctly -- and matplotlib's build system should (and does) use it.  Or maybe I'm just misunderstanding what you're suggesting.

Cheers,
Mike

On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 6:53 AM, Andrew Jaffe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

On 01/08/2013 19:06, Michael Droettboom wrote:
> On behalf of a veritable army of super coders, I'm pleased to announce
> the release of matplotlib 1.3.0.

Two issues on OSX 10.8.4. I had been previously using the dmg installer.
Lacking that, I tried easy-install and pip install, both of which gave
me the following problems:

  - I needed to set CC=clang
  - When attempting to load matplotlib, I got the following error:

/Volumes/Data/Users/jaffe/Library/Python/2.7/lib/python/site-packages/matplotlib/font_manager.py
in <module>()
      51 import matplotlib
      52 from matplotlib import afm
---> 53 from matplotlib import ft2font
      54 from matplotlib import rcParams, get_cachedir
      55 from matplotlib.cbook import is_string_like

ImportError:
dlopen(/Volumes/Data/Users/jaffe/Library/Python/2.7/lib/python/site-packages/matplotlib/ft2font.so,
2): Symbol not found: _FT_Attach_File
   Referenced from:
/Volumes/Data/Users/jaffe/Library/Python/2.7/lib/python/site-packages/matplotlib/ft2font.so
   Expected in: flat namespace
  in
/Volumes/Data/Users/jaffe/Library/Python/2.7/lib/python/site-packages/matplotlib/ft2font.so

This is a freetype problem, probably an incompatible version somewhere.
Ideas?

Andrew

Re: ANN: matplotlib 1.3.0 released

Rita-24
Yes, I mean a self-built package.

When linking I think  setupext.py is using /usr/lib and /usr/local/lib first, instead it should use PKG_CONFIG_PATH and then /usr/lib and then /usr/local/lib. Basically, the ordering or linking matters. I hope that helps. This isnt a big deal but just though I put out the solution.

On 08/06/2013 08:39 AM, Rita wrote:
Yes, I mean a self-built package.

When linking I think  setupext.py is using /usr/lib and /usr/local/lib first, instead it should use PKG_CONFIG_PATH and then /usr/lib and then /usr/local/lib. Basically, the ordering or linking matters. I hope that helps. This isnt a big deal but just though I put out the solution.

I don't think PKG_CONFIG_PATH is supposed to have anything to do with linking directories.  PKG_CONFIG_PATH tells pkg-config where to look for .pc files, which *in turn*, by querying pkg-config, may contain information about link directories.  So when you say it should prepend PKG_CONFIG_PATH, do you mean it should prepend "what pkg-config returns"?  I think that probably what it should be doing, and it's a bonafide bug that it is not.

Any chance you can share the linker command line that you think is wrong, and how it needs to be re-ordered?

Mike

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 10:29 AM, Michael Droettboom <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 08/03/2013 07:50 AM, Rita wrote:
Same problem in Linux also. Here is what I did to fix it: Remove the freetype/fontconfig rpm from my local install (yum remove) and then place the proper PKG_CONFIG_PATH to point to my remote freetype/fontconfig.

By remote, you mean self-built, rather than from a package?

The problem is there is a bug with setupext.py. We ought to prepend PKG_CONFIG_PATH in the gcc compile statement.  I hope this helps.

Can you elaborate?  The setupext.py just calls whatever pkg-config is first on the PATH, which should then in turn obey PKG_CONFIG_PATH.  If the user needs a custom PKG_CONFIG_PATH, it is generally the resposibility of the user to set it correctly -- and matplotlib's build system should (and does) use it.  Or maybe I'm just misunderstanding what you're suggesting.

Cheers,
Mike

On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 6:53 AM, Andrew Jaffe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

On 01/08/2013 19:06, Michael Droettboom wrote:
> On behalf of a veritable army of super coders, I'm pleased to announce
> the release of matplotlib 1.3.0.

Two issues on OSX 10.8.4. I had been previously using the dmg installer.
Lacking that, I tried easy-install and pip install, both of which gave
me the following problems:

  - I needed to set CC=clang
  - When attempting to load matplotlib, I got the following error:

/Volumes/Data/Users/jaffe/Library/Python/2.7/lib/python/site-packages/matplotlib/font_manager.py
in <module>()
      51 import matplotlib
      52 from matplotlib import afm
---> 53 from matplotlib import ft2font
      54 from matplotlib import rcParams, get_cachedir
      55 from matplotlib.cbook import is_string_like

ImportError:
dlopen(/Volumes/Data/Users/jaffe/Library/Python/2.7/lib/python/site-packages/matplotlib/ft2font.so,
2): Symbol not found: _FT_Attach_File
   Referenced from:
/Volumes/Data/Users/jaffe/Library/Python/2.7/lib/python/site-packages/matplotlib/ft2font.so
   Expected in: flat namespace
  in
/Volumes/Data/Users/jaffe/Library/Python/2.7/lib/python/site-packages/matplotlib/ft2font.so

This is a freetype problem, probably an incompatible version somewhere.
Ideas?

Andrew

Re: ANN: matplotlib 1.3.0 released

Andrew H. Jaffe
Hi Michael et al,

Attached...

p.s. I've posted this via the gmane newsgroup, but a version of was sent
to the ML and is awaiting moderator approval...

install-mpl-1.3.0.out (38K) Download Attachment

Re: ANN: matplotlib 1.3.0 released

Andrew H. Jaffe
Dear all,

On 06/08/2013 16:36, Andrew Jaffe wrote:

>>> Two issues on OSX 10.8.4. I had been previously using the dmg installer.
>>> Lacking that, I tried easy-install and pip install, both of which gave me the following problems:
>>>
>>>     - I needed to set CC=clang
>>>     - When attempting to load matplotlib, I got the following error:
>>>
>>> /Volumes/Data/Users/jaffe/Library/Python/2.7/lib/python/site-packages/matplotlib/font_manager.py
>>>
>>> in <module>()
>>> ---> 53 from matplotlib import ft2font
>>>
>>> ImportError: dlopen(/Volumes/Data/Users/jaffe/Library/Python/2.7/lib/python/site-packages/matplotlib/ft2font.so,
>>>
>>> 2): Symbol not found: _FT_Attach_File
>>>      Referenced from:
>>> /Volumes/Data/Users/jaffe/Library/Python/2.7/lib/python/site-packages/matplotlib/ft2font.so
>>>
>>>      Expected in: flat namespace in
>>> /Volumes/Data/Users/jaffe/Library/Python/2.7/lib/python/site-packages/matplotlib/ft2font.so
>>>
>>> This is a freetype problem, probably an incompatible version somewhere. Ideas?

Some self-followup:

I was able to get the build to compile and install and pass most of the
tests with the following change to the basedir_map dict (currently line
147) in setupext.py:

         'darwin': ['/opt/X11', '/usr/local/', '/usr', '/opt/local'],

i.e. /opt/X11 in the front. I assume this accounts for my XQuartz X11
install. I think both of those changes (i.e., usr->opt and moving to the
front of the path) are necessary.

With this setup, I get lots of knownfails and a few real
"ImageComparisonFailure" ones -- see below for the output. In all three
cases, examining the images, it's clear that the system is not using
styled fonts.

(I have no idea how these failures compare to my previous system with a
dmg installation of matplotlib as I never ran the tests on it...)

Also, as mentioned previously, on one of my machines (but, strangely,
not both) I also had to change CC and CXX to force use of clang (i.e.,
one worked with standard gcc).  The test failures are the same in both
cases, although, for what it's worth, the on-screen font rendering does
appear different on the two machines, no doubt owing to slightly
different installation histories of the various non-apple installed unix
and other libraries...

Yours,

Andrew

FAIL: matplotlib.tests.test_backend_pdf.test_use14corefonts.test
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File
"/Volumes/Data/Users/jaffe/Library/Python/2.7/lib/python/site-packages/nose/case.py",
line 197, in runTest
     self.test(*self.arg)
   File
"/Volumes/Data/Users/jaffe/Library/Python/2.7/lib/python/site-packages/matplotlib-1.3.0-py2.7-macosx-10.6-intel.egg/matplotlib/testing/decorators.py",
line 40, in failer
     result = f(*args, **kwargs)
   File
"/Volumes/Data/Users/jaffe/Library/Python/2.7/lib/python/site-packages/matplotlib-1.3.0-py2.7-macosx-10.6-intel.egg/matplotlib/testing/decorators.py",
line 159, in do_test
     '(RMS %(rms).3f)'%err)
ImageComparisonFailure: images not close:
/Volumes/Data/Users/jaffe/result_images/test_backend_pdf/pdf_use14corefonts_pdf.png
vs.
/Volumes/Data/Users/jaffe/result_images/test_backend_pdf/pdf_use14corefonts-expected_pdf.png
(RMS 57.518)

FAIL: matplotlib.tests.test_text.test_font_styles.test
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File
"/Volumes/Data/Users/jaffe/Library/Python/2.7/lib/python/site-packages/nose/case.py",
line 197, in runTest
     self.test(*self.arg)
   File
"/Volumes/Data/Users/jaffe/Library/Python/2.7/lib/python/site-packages/matplotlib-1.3.0-py2.7-macosx-10.6-intel.egg/matplotlib/testing/decorators.py",
line 40, in failer
     result = f(*args, **kwargs)
   File
"/Volumes/Data/Users/jaffe/Library/Python/2.7/lib/python/site-packages/matplotlib-1.3.0-py2.7-macosx-10.6-intel.egg/matplotlib/testing/decorators.py",
line 159, in do_test
     '(RMS %(rms).3f)'%err)
ImageComparisonFailure: images not close:
/Volumes/Data/Users/jaffe/result_images/test_text/font_styles.png vs.
/Volumes/Data/Users/jaffe/result_images/test_text/font_styles-expected.png
(RMS 13.676)

FAIL: matplotlib.tests.test_text.test_font_styles.test
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File
"/Volumes/Data/Users/jaffe/Library/Python/2.7/lib/python/site-packages/nose/case.py",
line 197, in runTest
     self.test(*self.arg)
   File
"/Volumes/Data/Users/jaffe/Library/Python/2.7/lib/python/site-packages/matplotlib-1.3.0-py2.7-macosx-10.6-intel.egg/matplotlib/testing/decorators.py",
line 40, in failer
     result = f(*args, **kwargs)
   File
"/Volumes/Data/Users/jaffe/Library/Python/2.7/lib/python/site-packages/matplotlib-1.3.0-py2.7-macosx-10.6-intel.egg/matplotlib/testing/decorators.py",
line 159, in do_test
     '(RMS %(rms).3f)'%err)
ImageComparisonFailure: images not close:
/Volumes/Data/Users/jaffe/result_images/test_text/font_styles_pdf.png
vs.
/Volumes/Data/Users/jaffe/result_images/test_text/font_styles-expected_pdf.png
(RMS 14.120)

Ran 1458 tests in 620.025s

FAILED (KNOWNFAIL=350, failures=3)