3.0 upgrade

Srinivasa Rao
Hi,

I was using Matplotlib ver 2.2.2 on windows 10 using anaconda distribution.
Now I have upgraded anaconda distribution with Matplotlib ver 3.0.0. Facing
few issues with the code that was working fine with 2.2.2.

1. In 3D plots using mplot3d, for multiple subplots,
plt.tight_layout(w_pad=5) worked fine with 2.2.2, but same code is giving
the following error
<http://matplotlib.1069221.n5.nabble.com/file/t5188/tight_layout_err.png> ,

and output display is one long vertical line with some jumbled letters.
When I remove titght_layout() statement, I get adequate space in between the
plots, but legend overalps with title. How can I fix this overlap issue?

2. For all 3D plots figure size gets too small, compared to the size I used
to get with 2.2.2 version. It is the same for single plot or multiple
subplots in the figure. Even figsize=(15,10) produces very small figure as
attached here
<http://matplotlib.1069221.n5.nabble.com/file/t5188/3Dfigure_Sizeissue.png>

whereas 2.2.2 produced full screen figure as shown below.
<http://matplotlib.1069221.n5.nabble.com/file/t5188/sizewith222.png>

Appreciate any help in resolving these two issues.

--
Sent from: http://matplotlib.1069221.n5.nabble.com/matplotlib-users-f3.html

Re: 3.0 upgrade

Jody Klymak

On 23 Oct 2018, at 07:39, Srinivasa Rao <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I was using Matplotlib ver 2.2.2 on windows 10 using anaconda distribution.
Now I have upgraded anaconda distribution with Matplotlib ver 3.0.0. Facing
few issues with the code that was working fine with 2.2.2.

1. In 3D plots using mplot3d, for multiple subplots,
plt.tight_layout(w_pad=5) worked fine with 2.2.2, but same code is giving
the following error
<http://matplotlib.1069221.n5.nabble.com/file/t5188/tight_layout_err.png> ,

and output display is one long vertical line with some jumbled letters.
When I remove titght_layout() statement, I get adequate space in between the
plots, but legend overalps with title. How can I fix this overlap issue?

Take the legend out of the layout: `leg = plt.legend(); leg.set_in_layout(False)` may help, but for 3-d plots there is still the spine issue.  Sorry for the bother.

2. For all 3D plots figure size gets too small, compared to the size I used
to get with 2.2.2 version. It is the same for single plot or multiple
subplots in the figure. Even figsize=(15,10) produces very small figure as
attached here
<http://matplotlib.1069221.n5.nabble.com/file/t5188/3Dfigure_Sizeissue.png>

whereas 2.2.2 produced full screen figure as shown below.
<http://matplotlib.1069221.n5.nabble.com/file/t5188/sizewith222.png>

Appreciate any help in resolving these two issues.

These look like dpi issues.  Not sure what is causing that.  How are you producing the pngs?

Cheers,   Jody

Re: 3.0 upgrade

Srinivasa Rao
Thanks a lot, Judy for quick response.

1. Tried your solution 'leg = plt.legend(); leg.set_in_layout(False)`,
unfortunately that has not helped

2. I am running the code in Jupyter Notebook, in the output cell I see
figure size much smaller with 3.0.0 compared to 2.2.2. For this post, I
saved these output figures from both 3.0.0 and 2.2.2 using mouse right click
and save, which by default saves in png format. Hope this helps

--
Sent from: http://matplotlib.1069221.n5.nabble.com/matplotlib-users-f3.html

Re: 3.0 upgrade

Srinivasa Rao
Thanks, Jody

I am not customizing spines or any other figure/axes/axis attributes. I am
plotting 3D data, for various combination of elevation and rotation
parameters, and adding title and legend for each of the axes(each
combination of elevation and rotation). Idea is to view the data from
different directions.

Regarding the figure size issue also, I am not specifying and dpi parameter,
but using default setup.

Encountered few issues with axes_grid1 toolkit functionality also with
version 3.0.0 compared to 2.2.2. Posted them in developer group.

I just want to make sure that I am not making any mistake at my end, and if
they are real issues with version 3.0.0, let development team know about
them so that they can fix them at some point.

Thanks once again for your attention and prompt response.

Regards
PSR

--
Sent from: http://matplotlib.1069221.n5.nabble.com/matplotlib-users-f3.html

Re: 3.0 upgrade

Srinivasa Rao
I am sorry, I am unable to relate my problems with the issue mentioned in
this thread!

Have you got a chance to look at my other post in developer group?

--
Sent from: http://matplotlib.1069221.n5.nabble.com/matplotlib-users-f3.html

Re: 3.0 upgrade

Srinivasa Rao
I am sorry, earlier I clicked thru 12241 thread, which was not clear. This
12239 thread is clear to me now.

Any thoughts on other issues that I posted to developer forum(should I also
post them on user forum as well?) and figure size issue in 3D plots?

Thanks
PSR

--
Sent from: http://matplotlib.1069221.n5.nabble.com/matplotlib-users-f3.html

Re: 3.0 upgrade

tcaswell
I don't see a difference in the figure size.

Could you post a minimal example that generates the issue you are seeing? That makes it much easier for us to help debug the issue!

Tom